Chapter Sixty Nine

The meeting was called earlier than expected. Jacob entered the room, his mask still covering his face, even though it was safe for him to take it off. Everyone filed into the large auditorium to their assigned seats. A few minutes after everyone was sitting down, two more guards entered the room. One leading the other one by the elbow, up the stairs and into one of the top rows. Strange, but Jacob didn't have enough time to think it over before the meeting began.

"Code red," Someone from the back of the room shouted. "It's a code red."

"What?" Someone else yelled from even further away. "That's impossible."

The man in charge entered the room and approached the podium at the center of the stage, dressed in a suit and tie, very handsome and intelligent looking, as always. "Everyone calm down, calm down. I can assure you we have everything under control."

"But what about Rach-"

"I need everyone to stop spreading rumors!" He boomed, slamming his fist onto the hard wood in front of him. The room hushed in an instant. "Like I said, we have everything under control."

"Then what's this meeting for?" The guard sitting next to Jacob asked. He took his mask off and dropped it to the floor. Big mistake, the guard knew the consequences of going against protocol, talking back would cause nothing but trouble for himself and others. He must've been new; only an idiot would back talk the man.

"This meeting is to keep everyone calm," He stated. "At first we thought there was a problem, but it has resolved itself. So I suggest you sit back down in your seat and keep your mouth shut, or I'll have you escorted out of here, and I think we both know you don't want that." Two cold hearts and four stone eyes, the two of them stared back at each other until the guard beside Jacob sat back down and mumbled something under his breath. The man in charge caught his breath and regathered his thoughts before continuing, "Things have turned out different than what we expected; nevertheless, the project will continue as planned until further notice."

Everyone waited in silence for a moment until he left, ending the oh-so important meeting. Chatter began after the door closed and he was gone. Rumors flew across the room and spread like an infected virus. Arguments broke out sporadically. Jacob sat still and quiet, staring at the podium in the front of the room. He pieced together everything in his mind. But something was off; someone had almost mentioned Rachel. Where was she? He hadn't seen her anywhere around recently. Was she in the room? He turned to his other side, the chair was empty. Where had she gone?

Jacob exited the room swiftly, not caring to give anyone a goodbye. He wasn't great friends with any of them anyways. He walked down the hallway and found Rachel's living quarters after fifteen turns and almost a miles worth of steps. The path to her room was forever imprinted in his mind, so many times he had gone their to confide in her and she the same. Even though she wasn't the most kind person in the world, she was the most honest one around.

He knocked and then waited, no answer. Again, a knock and a moment of silence. Jacob pushed the door open and entered the small room that was only large enough to hold a bed and a small shower. There wasn't much room to do much else; they didn't have free time to spare. The room was spotless, pristine to the touch. Jacob checked the tiny closet, everything had been removed and cleaned to the maximum status. The realization hit him. Rachel was gone because Rachel was dead.