Chapter 22 - Living with Death

Start from the beginning

Everyone looked at the road sign.

"It's a road sign. Your point?" Anthony asked.

"No. It's a Regina sign. We must be in Saskatchewan," she pointed out.

The boys all understood but Kaylie looked up at Darcie confused.

"What town?" she asked.

"Saskatoon," Darcie replied very sarcastically.

Kaylie raised an eyebrow at the older girl.

"What's a Saskatchatoon?" Kaylie asked.

"Darcie, you don't understand directions," Hunter told the taller girl.

"And you don't understand sarcasm, Hunter." Darcie snapped.

Hunter growled at her. It wasn't a 'I'll kill you' growl, it was more of a 'Don't make me come back there' growl.

"Who wants to see something cool?" Hunter asked.

"Me!" Kaylie screamed.

Hunter sped up and drove straight toward a horde. He hit it and walker chunks flew everywhere.

"Whoa!" Kaylie said.

"That's another thirty walkers gone forever," Hunter laughed.

"You're going to get us killed!" Travis yelled.

"No I won't," Hunter said, slowing down to the 'speed limit'.

Hunter rolled down the window and put his left hand out of it and on top of the roof.

"The wind's cold. Best time to drive," he said.

"Roll up the damn window Hunter," Darcie said, kicking the back of the seat.

Hunter put his arm back into the truck, then he rolled up the window half way.

"All the way damn it," Darcie barked.

Hunter rolled the window up, but pressed another button and made the window beside Darcie roll down.

"I'll kill you," Darcie said.

"No touching the driver unless you all want to die!" Hunter said, reaching under the seat and sliding the seat all the way to the wheel in fear of what Darcie would do.

"Let's just all go back to being silent while we drive," Travis said.

Hunter rolled up the windows.

It was silent for a long time, save for Kaylie talking about the special walker. The sun was almost completely down.

"I have to go!" Kaylie yelled.

"Go? Go where?" Travis asked.

"We are almost at a place we can stop," Hunter said.

"I have to go!" Kaylie yelled again.

She got off of Darcie's lap and grabbed the back of Hunter's seat, shaking it as much as she could.

"It's right there!" Hunter yelled, hoping the child would stop annoying him.

He pulled the truck up by a roadside gas station. He parked it and got out. He then went and checked the place for any walkers.

"It's clear," Hunter said.

Kaylie went running to the washrooms.

"Kids and their squirrel bladders," Hunter said. "Do what you want until nine forty five."

They all up got out to stretch. Darcie grabbed Hunter's arm and pulled him away from the group.

"Yay. We're going a walk!" Hunter said like a child.