Chapter Sixty Seven

Chloe entered her room, closed the door, locked it, and left David alone in the hallway to think without her. She had one more thing to do before the day was over, before the night came and washed her away. The memories she was receiving overnight were getting to her, clogging her mind up so she couldn't think straight. Maybe that's why they were letting her have them back, a way to distract her. Keep her busy in her thoughts instead of snooping around like she should've done this entire time. And destruction, chaos, was the ideal distraction.

The book was still lodged in between the mattress and the boxspring. Chloe sat on her bed and flipped through it, page after page she read the contents. First there were only dates, strange compared to her own book in the hidden room. Hers had contained finely detailed information about what seemed to be most of her life. The first few pages had jumped right into her life, informing the reading upon her education and family life. She finally found actual words on the fifth page:

He's progressed beyond our most extravagant desires.

He's more intelligent than the others.

He's stronger than the others.

But he's weaker than her.

The page ended suddenly, no more words, no more sentences. Not for three more pages of complete emptiness. What a waste of a book.

His first test was passed flawlessly. No errors not even a pulse off the recommended beat.

Two miles of running and two more of jogging, followed by an hour on the course.

He won't rest.

He can't sleep.

She's on his mind.

She's becoming a problem.

Another empty page, and then it jumped into the boring average life of a teenager. His notebook actually seemed more like a diary than anything else. Almost like it was written by him, himself, in first person, but it wasn't, instead it was in third person. Someone else wrote it. Someone who knew him, personally.

Which meant the person who wrote hers probably knew her too. A friend? Relative?

She shut the book and rubbed the closed lids of her aching eyes. A headache had creeped its way into the back of her head and it wasn't going away anytime soon. Not until after she got some rest; it was one of those headaches. The headache a beast and sleep her sword.

Chloe turned the light in her room off and covered herself up on the bed. The power hadn't even gone out yet, if it ever even would again. She was too tired to think of anything. All she could do was close her eyes and lie still, staring into the infinite sea of darkness in front of her.