Chapter 16

It's the second day of detention, and as the weekend draws near I am getting extremely tired. My parents grounded me last night. I can't see Cameron for two weeks. My parents are leaving Saturday of course, but my grandma is coming over.

I make my way to detention. It's in Mr. Marcus's room today and I am a little nervous. I have not been the best student to him. Just the other day I told him he needed to teach better and quit calling the freshmen stupid. He yelled at me, and sent me out of the class.

I walk in and have a seat near the front. I don't feel like walking to the back today. After all those other classes I just want to go home. School is slowly wearing me thin and I don't want to be here.

My teachers are all different and more strict. I don't typically have troubles with teachers, but this year is so much different. I feel more stressed, and I guess I am using that stress as anger.

I think of Cameron and my stomach fills with butterflies. A small smile replaces my angry frown. Oh Cam, how do you deal with this? I need to tell a family member.

I decide against my parents, I don't know how they will react. My cousins are for sure religious. If they hear about a gay/ lesbian person they will freak. Long story short all of my family members are very judgemental.

I click my pen while staring at the clock. "Miss Lucy! Stop it, that is the most annoying noise ever." Mr. Marcus tells me. I roll my eyes and groan inwardly. "Besides your voice" I mumble under my breathe. Thankfully he didn't hear me, and continued to go back to grading papers.

Ten minutes pass by, then twenty. Half an hour left I tell myself. Suddenly the fire alarm is pulled. Everyone in the room looks around to see what's going on.

"Alright everyone, single file line out of the door" Mr. Marcus speaks up. We all exit, and I find Ben standing outside laughing with his friends. "It was you wasn't it?" I question Ben with an annoyed voice.

He smiles "Cameron is waiting for you" he says. I turn around, a big smile on my face. "Cameron!" I say happily running up to her. "I barely saw you yesterday or today" I tell her.
My excitement dies down when I realize I am grounded. "Ugh, I can't do anything tonight" I tell her sadly. We both groan, and turn our heads to look at Ben. Our glare holds for quite a while.

I sigh "Sorry Cameron, I gotta go. I will talk to you later. Don't text until Saturday." I walk away shamefully, and towards my car.

***
"Grandma? What are you doing here?" I question staring at her quizzically. "Your parents had to leave early. Sorry dear, you didn't get to say goodbye" she answers.

"Oh" I reply nodding my head. "Your phones in your room" I smile at my grandma. "Thanks grandma!" I run to her and give her a quick hug and kiss on the cheek. I run and grab my phone off my nightstand.

I walk down the stairs while texting all of my new friends. Gabby answers first of course.

Gabby: heyo! What's up!

Me: nothing much. Just sitting with grandma.

Gabby: that sounds like fun! Is your grandma the card playing type?

Me: naw, we just sit around and talk about stuff. Omg we have the best conversations.

Gabby: girl tell me about it tomorrow. I'll let you get to it!

Me: alright, bye I'll see you tomorrow .

I look at Grandma for a little while before I speak. "So grandcracker, what have you done today?" I wait for a reply. "I got eye surgery today, obviously."

I stare at grams for about five minutes, smiling. "That's fun, but keep the sarcasm on the low low. That's my thing." We both laugh at this, and she just nods her head. "Wanna play Just Dance 2014?"

Grandma stands up, and stretches "bring it, I got two bionic hips and fixed eyes... Almost." I turn on the ps4 and grab the controller. I finally get it fully set up, and we stand in the middle of the floor.

***

"Dang grandma! For a sixty one year old you can move!" I laugh at her. "Its all in the hips, honey" she answers with a big smile. I laugh at her, and click on the next song. Starships by Niki Minaj begins to play, and the dancing starts.

We go through three more dances before we are completely worn out. "Ugh, I am done" I tell grandma as I take a seat. She nods, and takes her own seat.

I turn off the ps4 and switch it over to regular television. "Grandma, can I go out with friends on Saturday? I know I am grounded but..." I trail off, not wanting to talk anymore.

My phone makes its usual 'ding', and I quickly grab it:

Cameron: I think I am going to tell my parents about me. But I need you, just in case things get rough.

"Oh shoot! Grams my friend needs help with something! Do you mind If I go help her? I promise I'll be back." I promise, knowing that the answer is already 'yes'.

"Honey, you're grounded. I don't think that's a good idea." My hopes are shot down. "Don't worry about Saturday then. I don't need to hang with friends. But Camry needs me, and I have to be there for her."

Grandma reconsiders this for a moment, then smiles. "Okay, you can go. Be back at ten, Lucy. It's still a school night." I nod my head signalling that I heard her.

I grab my keys, hop into the car, and drive to Cameron's. I pull up to the curb, and park. I quickly get out, my stomach flipping with nerves. Jesus, please let this go well I pray as I knock on the door.

"Lucy hey! What are you doing here?" Cameron asks me, acting as if she didn't invite me over. "Oh you know... I just uh...." Cameron speaks to me through her eyes. I try to figure out what she is saying, but have no use.

"My parents and I got into an argument and I need someone to talk to someone" I tell her. "Cameron get in here!" Cameron grabs my hand, and pulls me in. "Who was at the door Cam---" I watch as her fathers face gets red. He looks angry, and I squeeze onto Cameron's hand tightly. Things are about to get real.