Chapter 6

I arrived home at noon Saturday to find that I was home alone, again. I didn't do much, and Sunday was the same way. Nothing to eventful happened, and I was bored out of my mind.

Now, it's Monday and we're back in school. I'm glad, because now I have something to keep me busy. I haven't seen Cameron or Ben all day today. It's making me nervous, because with both gone I don't know what's happening.

Cameron did say she was a lesbian, and that she doesn't like guys. I don't know why I'm freaking out over this. Maybe because she could be lying to you, dear lord I hope not. I don't think I can handle more lies.

I turn the corner, heading for Social Studies when I see Cameron talking to a girl. I don't know why, but I get a sudden feeling of anger. Instead of wanting to confront her and ask who the girl is, I turn around and walk another direction.

I want to cry, and she's not even mine! I like her, and the thought of her liking someone else doesn't make me feel very well. She's confusing, and I don't think I like that very much.

With her I don't know what she is feeling. She was being all cuddly on Friday night and Saturday morning. But, at school she acts way different. It's almost as if she isn't interested.

Don't start up anything, Lucy. Sure you think she likes you but it can just be your imagination. I don't want to think it is, but it just might be. She likes that girl, not me. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

"Gosh, I need more friends" I say to myself. "Why would you need more friends?" I feel Cameron whisper in my ear. Chills run down my spine, and a small smile takes over my face.

Jeez, what are you doing to me I think as I turn to see Cameron standing there. "So I have more people to talk to when your busy!" I reply laughing at her. "I can never be too busy for you, Lucy! Your the Waylon to my Gluskin!" She smiles at me.

Awe! Outlast whistleblower, that's my favorite game! She knows! My smile grows wider, and I give her a hug. "That's the most adorable thing anyone has ever said!" She laughs and I turn back to my locker.

The bell rings, and I realize I still have a Social Studies class to get to. My eyes widen as I turn around. I run down the hall shouting a quick goodbye to Cameron (who must have a free period) as I take a left.

***
I got to class late, and now I have detention. Social Studies was boring, and we have a project do now. I can have no social life for the next two weeks.

This project is big, it's half my grade for the semester! No more Camry for the next couple of weeks my heart sinks a little inside. "No!" I shout out loud, causing me to look around the room.

Everyone is staring at me, and my face heats up. "Lucy! This is the second time today that you have interrupted this class. Do you need to leave my classroom and work elsewhere?"

I shrink down in my seat a little lower more embarrassed than ever. The bell rings, and I jump out of my seat as fast as I can. I trip over my chair and fall to the floor.

Laughter breaks out among the class. I didn't think it was possible but somehow my face begins to heat up more. I want to cry why are you so awkward? I stand up and grab my books off the floor.

I pick the chair up next and set it back where it was before. I rush out of the classroom and towards my locker, ready for lunch.

***
Lunch was boring, and I was all alone. Cameron wasn't anywhere to be seen; maybe she was with the girl I kept thinking as I sat there all alone. It was a long lunch period.

After it was over many of the other classes went fast. Now, I'm sitting in Mr. Marcus' room with a whole bunch of other students who got in trouble today, or were late to class.

Mr. Marcus is not my favorite teacher, but he teaches me what I need to know for the future. Mom and dad have always told me "teachers are there to teach, not to be your friend" of coarse I don't care.

Would it kill if the teacher could be both? Last time I checked I don't think a student has died because the niceness of a teacher was so unbearable. I drop my pen on the floor by accident.

Mr. Marcus clears his throat as he looks up at me. I stare back, then decide to look away and bend down to grab my pen.

You are the worst, Lucy. Why would anyone truly like you? I want to cry so hard. Those words rang through my head, just as painful as they were two years ago.

I push the words into the back of my mind for now, preparing myself for a good cry when I step through my doors. "I'll be back. Stay quiet!" Mr. Marcus leaves the room.

"He isn't coming back, you know?" I heard a voice say from the door. I want to smile, but I don't. Instead I turn around and glare at Ben. You don't deserve a smile, Ben stares directly at me.

"Come with me" I look around, then decide to stand up. "No, I have to stay here. What do you mean he isn't coming back?" I question looking at the clock. There's thirty minutes left, I look back at Ben.

"There's only thirty minutes left. He figures the students can handle themselves by now. Come with me, I want to talk to you." I sit back down, being stubborn as usual.

"I said get up" I don't move, instead I sink lower into the chair. "No" I say folding my arms. "Get up you filthy little–" He's cut off by another voice coming from the hall.

"Back off" she says as she comes up to him. She slaps him in the face, and pushes him away. "Come on, Lucy. Let's go home." A sigh escapes my lips as I slid my arm through hers.

"Thanks Cameron" I thank her, glad she got here before Ben could hit me. "Don't mention it" was all she said before leaving the school.