"Of course" Kim said quickly, already feeling her heart rate rise, another nurse coming in to take her vitals.

Adam was instantly terrified, "you have to tell us what's going on"

"We will, just give me a few more minutes" Dr.Weatherspoon told her as he performed the test, and noting the measurements.

Adam leaned forward and kissed Kim's forehead, "it's gonna be okay" he whispered in her ear, hoping he wasn't lying to his wife.

Dr. Weatherspoon nodded at his colleague, he left the room, "I'm going to be taking over this case, it's become very high risk" he said softly, "I'm sorry"

"What's wrong?" Adam asked, Kim already near tears, "please?"

The door opened again, the other doctor returning with papers in his hand.

"Kim, Adam, I'm afraid your boys have a serious condition known as twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome" he handed them the papers.

"Boys?" Kim said softly.

"I'm sorry, I assumed you knew"

"We didn't" Adam told him, "this twin to twin whatever, what is it? Are my sons going to be okay?" Kim's grip on his hand tightening.

"I want to admit you over night, we need to run a lot of tests, but a simple explanation is one of your boys isn't getting enough blood and the other is getting too much" he hated giving such dire news, "It's serious, but right now both your boys seem to be okay"

"You got to give me more than that doc" Adam said raising his voice, "you can't drop news like this and tell me they seem to be okay! That's not good enough!"

"Adam calm down" Kim said, "I don't understand, what caused it? What did I do wrong?"

"Absolutely nothing, this is a fluke occurrence you didn't cause it and you couldn't have prevented it"

Adam sat back down, "Well, how do we treat it?"

"Listen, Adam, you need to take your daughter home and come back up here" Dr.Weatherspoon said knowing he needed to sit them both down and lay it all on the line, and he didn't want to do that when Harper was with them.

"No, I'm not leaving my wife" Adam said.

Kim grabbed his hand, "Go, Adam. Take Harper to your dad and Amy, Anthony too. I will be okay" she told him wiping her eyes, "please go"

Adam nodded, "Okay, I will be right back. I love you" he kissed her softly, "our boys will be okay, they're strong like their mom" he fought the lump he could feel forming in his throat.

She smiled, unable to speak.

A million thoughts raced through this mind as he waited for Anthony to arrive in the office at The Lawton Academy, "Is everything okay, Officer Ruzek?" The secretary asked sensing something was off with the usually loquacious man.

"Uh, um, yea" he shifted Harper on his hip, "Just need to get back to my wife" afraid if he started to explain he'd lose it.

"Hey Daddy!" Anthony hugged his legs, "where's mommy?"

"The doctor, I'm going to take you to grandma and grandpa's okay?"

"Yay!" Anthony smiled oblivious to the distress Adam was in.

"Hey Adam" Amy let them in, "give me my girlie!"

She took Harper from his arms, "You okay?"

Adam shook his head, "No, but I can't talk right now. I need to get back to Kim. Can they spend the night?"