Chapter 26 - Acting

Start from the beginning

“Why?”

“The Watchers govern over the brood too.  So when you fully wake you will hold the power to destroy them.  If they knew how close that was they would kill Scott to prevent it.  But they believe it is still a long while off and I am more valuable to them at the moment. Scott would be dead by now if I said no to this trade.”

“What if we can’t get you out of there Jari?  What if we fail?”

“Then you will judge me, don’t hesitate Natalie.  If the situation is lost don’t endanger yourself or Scott.”

“No, I couldn’t!”

“Yes you can and yes you will.  You have to Natalie.  If you don’t judge me and one of you or both of you are killed, then I will be left on-tap for the leeches.  That would be far worse than judging me.  So please just do it, judge me if you have any doubts at all about getting me out. And speaking as your father, I don’t want you risking yourself unnecessarily.  My blood will only stay in their system for so long, so take me out of the equation and they will wane.”

“But I...”

“Shh Natalie,” he put his finger gently to my lips, “This is why I couldn’t tell you who I am.  You are the Qaddis Natalie.  You have a responsibility as the Watchers of the Third Tower.  You must do your duty.”

“But how can Scott and I do this?”

“You have to.  If you believe in each other and trust in your love then the rest will fall into place.  Aze will help and Samy is doing what she can,” His laugh was a sad parody, “Samy is going to give me a virus or two and some blood diseases.  That will slow them down but they will expect us to do that.  Given who I am, no viruses or diseases will infect me for long.  They will pass through my system and therefore their systems.  This will just give you more time.  But your big advantage is in surprise.”

Aze dropped down and wrapped an arm around me, “Don’t worry I will look after her.”

“That’s what I am worried about,” Jari growled, “Natalie, Aze is ticklish, once he is on the floor a sharp kick to the groin will work.”

“Hey, not fair!” Aze protested.

“It’s time to get ready,” Jari interrupted Aze’s exaggerated look of betrayal with a roll of his eyes. 

Then he took my hand and pulled me into a hug, I breathed deeply as I tried to soak up as much of him as I could.  He softly laughed as I clung to him like my life depended on it.  Too soon he gently pushed me away and held me so that he could look me in the eyes.

“Never forget that I have always loved you.  But put that aside and do what is necessary Qaddis.  You have responsibilities.” He let me go and walked out of the room.

Aze wrapped his arms around me as I cried softly, “Don’t worry we will kick butt!  No one would be risking this if they didn’t believe that you could do it.  Now let’s get ready to go and you can introduce me to Scott, I want to size up your man.  It’s not too late you know.  We could be great together too.”

“Go get dressed Aze.  I can’t deal with you right now.”

He kissed my forehead and smirked as he left the room.  On my own in the Gym I allowed myself to fall to pieces.  I shrank to the floor and gave myself over to the grief.  My muscles seized in fear, my insides turned to jelly, my throat ached and my eyes stung as my emotions all fought to be heard.  I released the outburst that I had been holding tightly onto.  I let everything go. I released it all in a sobbing fit of misery. 

Then with all the pent up emotions and frustrations purged I reassembled myself out of what was left.  I found my determination and I harnessed that to my stubborn resolve.  I was the Qaddis.  I was going to get my Irin.  I was going to get Scott.  I would do this.  No matter how insurmountable it seemed, I would do it.