38

~73 minutes later~

By this time, all 5 children were sitting in the waiting room. Amanda and the rest of the squad would be over soon.

Olivia's contractions had become 3 minutes apart, and she was ready to deliver. It had to be a girl. She wouldn't have gone through this many hours of labor and it not be a girl.

Elliot was sitting with her, holding her hand through her latest contraction.

"Shit," Olivia said through gritted teeth as her pain settled. Her clammy hand loosened on Elliot's as she laid back.

"Okay?" Elliot asked, flexing his hand.

Olivia nodded.

Minutes passed and eventually, she was fully dilated, though Olivia couldn't tell. Because they couldn't tell when she would be delivering, she didn't get an epidural. She was in a great amount of pain, which she already predicted.

"Okay, Olivia, we're going to push on this one," the doctor told her. Olivia cringed as she heard the words, immediately gripping Elliot's hand.

He ran his thumb back and forth over the back of her hand for comfort. It didn't help, and both knew that, but it was better than nothing.

The pain of a contraction came and came fast, and Olivia cried out. Her nails dug into Elliot's skin worse than she had before.

"Push," the doctor instructed. Olivia did so, ignoring any words of encouragement and the doctor's counting to ten.

Olivia let out a breath when he reached the magical, two-digit number. But he told her to push as soon as she did.

It took another 15 seconds before the baby was completely out.

"It's a boy!"

Whaaa? Olivia thought. A boy? A boy would never put her through this much hell.

Well, I guess he did, Olivia thought.

They wrapped him in a blue blanket and Elliot cut the cord.

But Elliot had something else up his sleeve. On a little piece of string that he loosely had around the baby's wrist, there was a note.

"Here you are," the doctor said, handing the 7 pound, 3 ounce baby in her arms.

Olivia, as she did with all her children, cried at the sight. "Hi, baby," she whispered. She then noticed the little thing gripped in the baby's fist. "What's this?"

She untangled the string and read the little piece of paper.

"Will you marry my daddy?"

Olivia's mouth fell open, a tear falling to her lip. She tasted salt. Her eyes shifted to her right and she saw Elliot. And there he was, on one knee, a ring held out to her.

"El," she whispered so quietly she almost couldn't hear it herself.

"I know, it's crazy. I haven't known you for a long time. Not even a year. And bad things happen when people get together like this but I don't care. You've given my twins a mother figure. You are making them happier. I watch you with your kids everyday, amazed how you kept them all together. You're so beautiful and smart and strong and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And your kids. Would you-"

"Yes," she interrupted, wanting so badly to sit up and take his hand, but she couldn't. Her fingers reached out and he stood, siting on the edge of the bed next to her. She cried as she leaned into Elliot. He slipped the ring on her left hand and kept his arms around her.

Both of them turned their attention to the boy in Olivia's lap. "He's perfect," Olivia told him. "19 hours of labor, though. I'm not-"

"Hey, it's over now," Elliot interrupted, jokingly.

"I feel like we should have planned out a name."

"Well you were so sure it was going to be a girl. Surprise."

Olivia smiled, stroking the little baby's cheek. "Different father, different pregnancy. Everyone knows that."

Elliot rolled his eyes. "Fine. How about...Jason?"

Olivia didn't like it, but wouldn't outrightly say or. "I like-"

They were interrupted by a knock at the door. When it opened, they saw Nicole holding her sister, followed by the rest of the children.

"Up for some visitors?" Nicole asked.

Of course they were. Olivia nodded.

They tiptoed over and Nicole leaned her sister down to look. "You've got a baby brother, Paigey."

"What his name?" Paige asked.

"We don't know yet. What do you think?" Olivia asked, as Paige stepped onto the bed, then sat in the crook of Olivia's arm.

"I don't know any names," Paige told her mother in all seriousness.

"He looks like a Carter," Lizzie said.

"Are you high?" Dickie asked. He looks like an Arron."

"Carter Arron," Nicole mumbled. Everyone heard and laughed.

"Unless you wanna name him Batman, cuz I'm all for that," Dickie chimed in.

"Yeah!" Zach said, seconding the vote.

"I think you're the one who is high," Lizzie truthfully told her brother.

"I think Arron Carter sounds better," Elliot said, coming back to Nicole's comment."

"I like Mason," Olivia announced, having been quiet for a while.

"Carter Mason," Nicole said, "or Mason Carter." When she got eye rolls, she added, "Look, all I'm good for is combining the names!"

"Okay, Peanut Gallery," her mother replied. "I do like that, though. Mason Carter."

"I still like Arron. Nicole, make something of that."

Nicole rolled her eyes. "Arron Mason, Arron Carter, Arron Batman, Arron Riley? Arron-"

"Arron Batman, definitely."

Everyone rolled their eyes at that.

"Let the baby decide!" Paige said.

They all laughed, and then realized they would all never come to a consensus.

"What are our options, then?"

"Mason Carter, Arron Carter, Arron Mason, or Batman. Did I miss any?" Nicole asked, once they got a couple options out of the way.

"No child of mine will be named Batman," Olivia said.

"But come on!" both Dickie and Zach whined.

"Alright," Olivia spoke quietly to the newborn. "What will it be?"

Olivia started asking the little baby what his name was.