21

Sorry it's taken me so long to update Stork! Trying to wrap up that story, but I need to make the ending perfect 😍

•••

"H-How do you know? Did she tell you?"

"She didn't have to. I don't remember much from when Zach was born, but I remember when she was pregnant with Paige. She was soooo dysfunctional. Like PMS on steroids. She yelled at me to get to school today after throwing up for a while in the bathroom."

Elliot sat back in shock. He did not just get his partner pregnant.

But oh yes, he did.

Elliot couldn't stop his mind from moving as fast as it was. What would his captain say? What would the squad say? How would they make this work? Nicole's mind was stuck on the fact she knew Elliot was the father. She knew what had to happen between them in order for her mother to get pregnant. And it was...not a pleasant thought.

Lizzie came back to the table, hoping what they had to discuss was over. She wouldn't lie to herself, some daughter of some woman her father worked with had secrets with her father? Kind of weird, but she let it go.

Elliot started to quickly eat his burger and the girls continued talking. They had gotten really close. Elliot was happy about that. He was especially happy to see Nicole smile for once, laugh and chat like a normal teenager.

It wasn't much later Elliot had to leave. He paid for his burger and left. The girls stayed.

"So what was that about?"

"I don't know. I think he has a thing for my mom," Nicole lied.

"Well, being sisters doesn't sound so bad." Lizzie could sense something else was going on, but she didn't press it. She decided to make a joke out of it.

"Dude, five kids under one roof. And I'm still the oldest."

"I wouldn't be the youngest anymore. I would be the middle child. Third born."

"Sucks!" Nicole joked as she took out her chemistry notebook. She had already started on balancing equations of chemical changes, but there were so many problems! She wasn't even half way done. Luckily, it's just adding and subtracting with letters, so it's not hard.

Lizzie decided to start by ordering cheesecake for herself to eat, then started on chemistry. Nicole ended up staring so longingly at the dessert across from her, she ordered her own too.

"So, what are we doing to Halloween?" Lizzie asked.

"I'm taking my siblings trick-or-treating, so if you care to join on that..."

"Mm...maybe. I think Lindsay wants me to go out with her."

Lizzie was so on the fence about her friends now. It made Nicole feel terrible. Lizzie could be friends with those girls, it didn't matter to her. Why did it matter to Lizzie?

"What are Zach and Paige being?" Lizzie asked, avoiding the awkward silence that was about to come.

"Paige is being Elsa, of course. Zach is gonna be Batman."

"Great choices."

"And I'm gonna be the one who takes all the good candy," Nicole said.

"Like Zach will let that happen."

Nicole nodded, and looked at the time on her watch. "What time does trick-or-treating start?"

"I think 6:30. Where are you gonna go?"