3

"New school, just thought I should remake myself. Like it?" Nicole asked casually and happily.

"No, I don't like it. This better be a wig or something," her mother warned. "And did you pierce your face?!"

"Hate to break it to ya, Mom, but what you want is not what I want. It's all real. And I like it so much better. It's fun. Exciting."

"Well you aren't walking around the world like this," her mother said. "Go home and scrape all that gunk off your face, metal out of your face, and wash that dye out of your hair."

"Can't wash my hair until its fully set."

"Fine," Olivia said defeated. "Get your sister and go home. Home!"

"Oh so I can go back to Jersey?!" she asked falsely excited.

"No. Back to the apartment. Now. I have to work and can't have you two here."

Her daughter rolled her eyes and gave in with more attitude. They walked into the squadroom and Paige was on Elliot's lap, playing with his badge. When she saw her mother, she hopped down and ran to her.

"You're gonna go with Nicole, okay?" Olivia asked Paige.

"Sissy?" Paige asked, looking at Nicole.

"Yes, it's me," she said, annoyed, reaching for her sister. When Paige was in her arms, she turned to walk away without saying goodbye to anyone. Her sister wouldn't have it, being with who she originally didn't recognize.

"I want Mommy!" she cried, thrashing in Nicole's arms. The teen was used to this and held on tighter to her sister.

"She's working," Nicole scolded as they headed home.

Back at the precinct, Olivia sat with her head in her hands, too overwhelmed to be embarrassed. She stared at the papers on her desk, but none of it made sense. Her family didn't make sense, so how could this?

"Liv," Elliot said quietly. Everyone was talking, so being quiet didn't matter. Her ears perked up at her nickname. Nobody here except Elliot called her that, yet, mainly because she's hasn't spent much time with anyone but her partner. She liked when he called her that, though.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"It's just a phase. She'll get over whatever this is."

"No, she won't," Olivia stated, standing up. She ran her fingers through her hair and walked back over to the board they had their suspects pinned on. Something about the victim and these men just didn't mix to Olivia.

"How do you know?" Elliot asked, coming up behind her.

She turned around, suddenly uncomfortable with his closeness. He's not within two feet of her, but...there's just something making her stomach flip.

"Her father is gone and always will be. She knows he doesn't care about her anymore. I dragged her away from her home and her friends and she most likely won't go back. And her life kind of...sucks."

Elliot didn't answer. He didn't really get the chance, anyways.

"I mean it's my fault, but for now..." She shook her head and changed the subject. "Now, we know Kirsten was at the festival..."

Elliot would have to talk to her later. She didn't want to now.

~•~•~•~•~

"Oh my god, you are so annoying!" Nicole yelled at her brother.

"And the baby is napping!"

"She isn't a baby. She's 3. That makes her a toddler!"

"Just shut up!"