30

"I'm recommending an adolescent psychiatrist for her to see."

"Wait, she really needs therapy?"

"The extensive trauma that the experience has put on her, with no outlet, has caused PTSD, anxiety, even minor depression. She's cracking, cracked."

"What did she tell you?!"

"You know I can't give out that information, Liv."

Olivia stood with the doctor, nerves bouncing off the walls of her heart. Nicole was not going to like this. But, it's not her decision to make. Olivia would make her daughter go for help until she saw the light to why she was there.

"O-Okay," Olivia said, nodding. "Will she get better?"

"With time. There's no doubt in my mind that she can overcome this."

That helped Olivia calm down a little. She thanked the doctor and left to her car, where Nicole was waiting. She was busy wiping her undereyes with a rogue napkin from the glove compartment.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Olivia asked.

"Oh, it was pretty bad."

"Why?"

"Well first off, if you can't tell, my cheeks are black. A-"

"Don't wear eyeliner and mascara next time."

Nicole rolled her eyes. "And, you know how much I love talking about myself."

Olivia nodded. "I know. But it's gonna be good for you."

"Wait, I have to go again?!"

Olivia cringed. She should not have worded her remark like that. "Not to Huang. He's recommending a doctor for teenagers."

"I don't need a psychiatrist! I'm not crazy!" Nicole protested.

"I didn't say you were-"

"Crazy people need psychiatrists! I'm not crazy!" she blurted again, tears of fear forming in the corners of her eyes.

"Nicole! You are not crazy. You are not weird or different or worse of a person because of it."

Nicole leaned back in her seat, arms folded, now not caring about the makeup darkening her cheeks.

"Fine, be that way, Nicki. You're still going."

"Fine."

~•~

"Don't lock yourself in yo-" it was too late. Nicole was already stomping down the stairs, pissed as hell.

Elliot heard the commotion and rounded the corner. "What's up with her?"

"Exactly what you'd expect."

"So I'm guessing the session didn't go to well?"

"Depends. She's got PTSD, anxiety and possibly depression, which she will overcome if she comes out of her room ever to go see her psychiatrist on a weekly basis. So is that worse or better than expected?"

It was a lot to take in. The girl who seemed like your everyday teenager had PTSD? Depression?

"It'll be fine. She'll be fine. What about you?"

"I'd be doing a lot better if my teenager wasn't going through a psychotic breakdown," she admitted.

"Well you have to relax. All this stress isn't good for the baby."

Olivia nodded as they both looked down at her growing tummy. She was 5 months along now, and it was crazy. It seemed like yesterday they were all huddled together around a Christmas tree. But it was nearing March. Time had just seemed to keep flying.