bonus: new addition

Start from the beginning

"Oh my gosh, seriously?" my voice squeaks, making him let out a small giggle.

Within minutes we pull up to the small shelter around the block from our flat, and quickly park. When we enter, the smell is slightly overwhelming, and Harry audibly gags.

"This smell is revolting," he hisses, quickly snaking his arm around me and pulling me tightly against his side. "Stay close babe. I don't need you to catch anything."

"Harry, I won't catch anything. Live a little."

He huffs and leads us towards the front desk, where a slightly older man is seated, typing away on his computer. Harry coughs and the mans head pops up, staring at him.

"Hi there!" the man greets, standing up and walking around the desk. "What can I help you with today?"

"Uh, yeah hi. My wife and I want to check out the dogs you have here," Harry mumbles, and I quickly nudge him with my elbow.

"Oh awesome! Come with me," the man cheers, motioning us to follow him.

Within minutes we're taken into the back room where the sounds of dog howls and cries are heard loudly.

"And I'm agreeing to this because?" Harry whispers, causing a fit of giggles to erupt from within me.

"Because you love me," I nonchalantly say with a shrug. "And secretly you want a dog too."

"I'm only doing this for you. I hate dogs."

"Really? Because last week you talked about a puppy in your sleep."

"Did not!" he defends as we step into the caged off area.

"So, most of the canines here are fully grown, we have a few pups in the back corner there," he points, making my eyes wander over. "I'll leave you two alone for a bit. If you feel like you've found the one, just come get me. I'll be outside the room here waiting."

"Thanks!" I chirp loudly, tugging Harry towards the corner.

My eyes skin across the selection of dogs, stopping at a small pug curled up in the corner of a pen.

"No," Harry denies immediately, rapidly shaking his head. "If we're going to get a dog, we're going to get a good looking dog. Not one that looks like it's been smushed against a window."

"But this dog is adorable!"

"You can't just say yes to the first one you see," he huffs, crossing his arms and looking around. "If there's no other ones you like, then we'll look at it. But honestly, I'd prefer-"

"A more rugged breed?"

"Exactly!"

We spend the next few minutes passing over a wide array of dogs, ranging from Chihuahua's, to German Shepard's, to Labrador Retrievers. Harry told me I'd be crazy to think about getting a small dog because it wouldn't help with my laziness.

I had to agree, knowing that he was completely right. We trailed on until I stopped at the sight of a small puppy sitting in the corner of its cage. Its head was drooping down through tiredness, it's and a soft cry left its mouth.

It was grey with black spots scattered across its body and legs, and a small pink collar done up around its neck.

A frown appeared on my face as I knelt down in front of the cave, trying to get eye level with the pup. Her head lolled in my direction, before standing up and prancing happily over to me.

"Hi puppy!" I opened the cage door, letting her step out onto my lap. She started licking my face and I burst out in a fit of laughter.

"What's this?" Harry asks, crouching down to our level. "The sign here says her name is Oreo. She's a cata- cata- I don't know. A leopard dog? I thought a leopard was a cat."