Chapter 10

Wednesday is finally here and I'm feeling better. I think it's more because I'm excited to see Blake. I work with Jessica now. Maybe now the work days won't be so boring and uneventful. We basically just spend the day bullshittin. I let Nicki use my car for the day to go job hunting. I tell her not to worry about picking me up because I'm going to walk home after work. Jessica and Merce join me on my walk home. "Damn, shit is hot out today." Jessica says as she fans herself down with her hand.

"That's Cali for you." Merce chimes in.
"I know. Fuck this shit. I'm taking my jacket off." I say. We have to dress in our cammies during work hours. I take my coat off and tie it around my waist.

"I have this song stuck in my head." I tell them.

"What song is that?" Merce asks.

"No, dont! I just got that shit out of my head." Jess tries to stop me. She knows what song I'm talking about because  I've been singing it all day.

I start singing the song best friend by Tokyo Vanity. "Ooh shit. This my song too!" Merce joins in.

"You better fuck it up, that's my best friend,  that's my bestfriend, that's my best friend." Jess rolls her eyes as we sing and joins in. We all start laughing. We take turns twerking as we continue to sing the song. All of a sudden we hear a car horn honk. None of us recognize the car. We wait for it to pass to see who it is but it slowly pulls over by us. Who the fuck is this? "Hey," Blake says as they pull  up. I walk up to the car, we kiss. "Oooh" I hear Jess and Merce say as they stand off to the side. I notice DJ sitting in the driver's seat. This must be his car. It's an all black Rolls Royce. "Blake, DJ these are my friends Jessica and Mercy." I wave the girls over and they shake hands and greet the guys. They stand beside me by the car. "Whatchu doing?" Blake asks. "Nothing, we just got off work." I tell him. "Oh, you guys wanna come over to my place and eat?" He asks. "Yess." Jessica and Merce both say. "I- yeah." I laugh as I stumble over my words. He gets out and opens the door for us, we all get in. We just go straight to his house. We don't even get to change into our civilian clothes but that's ok, I guess. I won't complain, I just wanna spend time with Blake. "Where y'all comin from?" I ask as we drive over to Blake's. "Practice." Blake replies. "How was practice?" I ask. "It was alright." He tells  me.

"So, are y'all cooking for us, or?" I ask confused.

"You're cooking for us." DJ chimes in.

"Whatever. You guys can cook. We're guests."

"No, we were gonna order in." Blake tells me.

"Oh, that's fine too."

"So, how'd y'all meet? You meet at work? Or?" DJ asks curiously.

"We met in bootcamp." Jess answers.

"Oh, damn, foreal?"

"Yeah." She laughs.

"I met Jess in the navigation training, we were partners. And Merce saved my ass in the gas chamber." I tell him.
"Damn, no place like meetin in a gas chamber." He says.

Jess, Merce, and I all look at each other and laugh.

"Nah, how'd she save your ass?" He asks.

"Couldn't get my mask back on, I was struggling, she helped me. Had the drill instructor seen me struggling like that he would've just ripped the whole thing off and dropped me. So, yeah. She saved my ass." I laugh a little.

"That's cool. I think that when you meet people in situations like that, because the bootcamp sounds crazy, the bond is strong from the get. You know?"