Chapter 5 -My Birthday

Lillian Hughes

I woke up to singing, mom and dad were singing happy birthday to me and brought me breakfast in bed. It was an omelet with rice and broccoli. When mom exited the room, my dad pulled my present out. He handed it to me, I opened it up and it was the pistol I asked for.

"Thank you!" I said.

" Lillian, there will come a time when you will need to do something that will devastate you. Sometimes we must kill if we want to survive, we can't always catch the criminal." My father said.

"I understand, and I know I will have to prepare myself. For whatever comes my way. I'll be spending my time in the library looking up information and anything I can find. Then I'll head to the East Headquarters to visit uncle Mustang." I explained to him.

"I'm going to miss you, and I hope you stay in contact at all times." He said as he hugged me.

"Dad, don't worry I'm not leaving home yet, not till mother has the baby. I can't have her worry, I just need to do whatever research I can." I explained. He nodded and let me finish breakfast. I took the plates to the kitchen and washed them. I changed and brushed my hair.

"I'm going to the library!" I said.

"Just make sure to be back tonight okay honey?" My mom said.

"I will don't worry!" I said. I hurried to the first branch to read about any non human creatures. When I arrived to the first branch library, I looked at all the amazing books. Well something non human had to be created through using Alchemy and that means that someone committed the greatest Taboo. I started searching for books on Human Transmutation and began reading. A homunculus is created when someone attempts human transmutation. They have a symbol that marks them as a homunculi called an ouroboros a sort of dragon about to eat its own tale with a triangular symbol within it. So what killed my parents was created through human transmutation. Now question is who created it, there's probably no files on anything like that. What is with the mentioning of this stone? The philosopher's stone known as the fifth element, powerful transmutation amplifier. Wonder if it would have given me more time to say goodbye to them at that gate. If the philosopher's stone is known for being a powerful transmutation amplifier, there must be many alchemist trying to get their hands on it, especially if it can complete human transmutation. I should ask Mustang tomorrow, he should know some information about the philosopher's stone. I looked at the clock, it was already late. I can't believe time goes by so fast, I was really enjoying reading. I should head back, dad is probably freaking out that I could be in danger. I got up and grabbed my black cloak and put my hood up, to hide my face. I walked out of the building, this journey has turned out like a dream. I need to leave early tomorrow in order to see Mustang at East Headquarters. As I arrived to the front door of my home, I saw father standing outside.

"Hey! What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be with mom?" I asked as I walked up to him.

"Yeah, I just came out here to think." he said.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked as I pulled my cloak down.

"How you will be leaving me soon! To go on your journey to find answers and meet people and who's gonna protect you from boys who want to date my little girl!" he said as he lifted me of my feet giving me a tight hug.

"Is that what is bothering you?" I asked.

"I'm just worried about you going off alone in general. All I want is for you to come home safe to your mom and me and not to mention your baby sibling. You will be here to see your baby brother or sister being born right?" he asked in a serious tone.