Chapter 31: Indignation

Dedicated to LittleMiss_ReadAlot because she's awesome and helped me come up with the idea of the next few chapters. She's also my best friend so go follow her!

I tossed and turned all through the night. My head pounding and my chest aching. I took a quick glance at my clock. 4:37 am. I sighed, throwing the blanket on the floor and sitting up on the edge of the bed. My forehead was sticky with sweat, goosebumps scattered across my arm as I trembled in fear. One nightmare, over and over again. Always around this time of year. The night of the accident replaying in my head. My breaths were heavy, and they didn't stop. It was as if I were hyperventilating. I ran my hand through my long hair, gripping it at the strands out of anger and frustration.

Why me?

I sat there, for hours. Silently crying into my hands, hiccuping with every sob. I finally stopped around 7:13 am, grabbing my blanket from the floor and covering my shivering body with it. My head was on the pillow but my eyes were not closing. They were red, and stung and the tears felt as if they would never stop. I laid there in that position for longer than I could remember. Not moving, not sleeping, just thinking.

I got out of bed around 9 or so, deciding to take a long shower. I spent at least an hour in there, just washing all of the grime off my body, trying to wash all of the painful memories away. I didn't work.

I exited the bathroom wearing a pair of black high wasted jeans, a black tank top and a long black cardigan. I planned to go into my room and do nothing like I would have done every year, on this day, but as soon as I entered the room, I was surprised to see it filled with people. And by people, of course I meant Jordan, Eliza and Levi. They all stood there with grins on their faces.

"Happy Birthday!" They all chorused as I felt a pang in my chest.

I didn't want to be reminded of the day.

"You didn't have to do anything for my birthday" I whispered, my voice hoarse and light.

Eliza sent me a pitiful look as I avoided eye contact with her, suddenly extremely interested in my fluffy socks. I nervously fidgeted with my fingers as I stared at the ground, determined not to look at any of them, afraid that the eye contact will only end with me in tears, which wasn't unlikely.

"I got you something" Jordan began, a grin plastered on his face. Why wouldn't there be one? He didn't know what today was. He handed me a box, and I was about to tell him he didn't have to but he stopped me "just open it".

I nodded, doing as I was told, carefully ripping the packaging to reveal a 'my first makeup set'. A small smile broke out on my face as I rolled my eyes.

"Due to your new found love of makeup, I decided to get you this. I also bought the same exact thing for my seven year old niece" he said to me as I slapped his arm slightly.

"Thank you" I said "I hate it"

He chuckled "that's what I was aiming for, so yes!" He celebrated.

"Okay, me next, me next!" Eliza squealed as I smiled.

She handed me a small box, about the size of my palm, smiling widely as she passed it to me. I carefully pried it open, revealing a key. It was a pretty bronze key, attached to a large heart key ring. Coming off of the key ring was a little infinity sign and a block that said 'Live. Love. Laugh'. After a moment or so of staring at it, it immediately hit me. "Are these th-" I began.

"Yep" she interrupted as a smile broke out on both of our faces.

"How did you find it? I thought we both lost it, I spent forever looking for it and then crying for days when I realised I couldn't find it" I said to her