9| ''I'll never love you''

Start from the beginning

My mother's.

It was a beautiful blue black colour that shone faintly like the colours of the rainbow when the sunlight fell onto it. On a thin threaded silver chain it dangled back and forth like a pendulum.

Tired, I slipped it around my neck and fell asleep, holding it tightly in my hand.

'Stephen and Ryane Mercer were good people, they contributed to the community, volunteered whenever they could and were always there for those who needed help. This is goodbye to our good friends, a beautiful couple and parents who will be sorely missed'

In the thin sheet of rain I watched as they lowered the coffins into the ground one by one. Rosie held onto my shoulder with her hand, her sniffing and soft sobs close to my ear. In my black dress, I felt the raindrops wet my legs and the squelching of heels and shoes when people left.

۞

'Mom! No! Dad!' I screamed, throwing my arms over the bodies in the hospital room. They pulled me away, telling me to hush, telling me it was okay before Rosie held my head to her chest and my crying body as we sat on the floor.

۞

'It was a car accident,' the officer said, his eyes a dull green, his eyelashes a white blonde that stood out in the dark police room, 'They sped off the highway'.

'Aren't there any cameras?' Rosie voiced, 'There is no way that Stephen would drive so recklessly'.

'They just shot off ma'am,' the officer whispered, his eyes turning to me, 'like they were on the run'.

Those green eyes lit up, lit up until the pupil pooled over like blood and then he came for me. A monster that had its fingers around my neck. His foul breath reached my nostrils, his spit felt sour and burning on my cheek as it hissed, 'And you'll be next, you'll be next legatum'.

I woke up screaming.

Slowly, my new room swam into view and I panted in the dark, my heart beating a hundred miles a minute.

JETT

'Stop it,' I growled, 'Stop it, stop it, stop it!' I woke up, my eyes adjusting to the lighting in my room within a second before I scowled, falling back onto my bed with an annoyed grunt.

Stupid fücking nightmares.

As I rubbed my hands over my face I tried to erase my brother's face from my mind.

Daniel had died three years ago but still I could still see his face in my mind, catching me off guard when I let my mind drift. He was gone, and I had to deal with it.

Grunting as I turned over, I checked the alarm on my night stand: 16:00. Still too early for school.

Reaching my hand down for my jacket which I'd flung onto the floor, I pulled out the packet of cigarettes before sitting up slightly.

Lighting and inhaling it automatically, I gazed into the smoke, hoping for Daniel to appear again after so many years.

He always told me to stop smoking; 'It's bad for you,' he would always chastise, slapping the cigarette out my hand or actively burning the entire packet, 'You're going to mess up your system,' he would say.

I always ignored him, even on the day of his funeral I'd lit one by his grave, wondering if he'd come back to slap it out of my hand but he never came.

Now every time I smoked, I prayed that he'd appear before me once more and ruffle my hair; one of the things I hated the most.

What else did I hate?