Part 1: Elizabeth: Prologue: Discoveries

The gardens were beautiful that evening. The birds trilled their joyful song, and the artificial sun shined upon my face. My dearest son-in-law, Angel, a pale, sickly thing, and I were having a chat about nature and how he became immortal. Then, the topic had turned a rather sensitive direction.

“What about Raul?” Angel asked, “If you gave all three of us immortality, what happened to him?”

I paused for many moments. I breathed heavily, trying to decide how to say it without Angel getting teary-eyed. My heart was beating as fast as the birds’.

“He’s fine.” I said, “He just fled back to France with his family after the war broke out.”

“He has a family?” Angel said teary-eyed in a way I wanted to avoid.

“A husband, Lyle, and two kids, Juliette and Oliver.”

“So he’s...”

“Like you? Yep.”

“So that’s why he was so kind.” he whispered, “He knew how I felt.”

“He changed his name to Emerson Nightingale. He changed it again to Emerson Ford when he married, but I digress.”

“Lyle Ford.” Angel murmured to himself, “Lyle Ford...he was the only person to ever survive-”

“The Sworn’s Kiss.” I finished, “I’m familiar with the tale. I was present for most of it.”

“How did he survive?”

“Raul, I mean, Emerson, saved him.” I responded, “He always kept a vile of Gatlin’s blood handy.”

“Gatlin?”

I told Angel all about Gatlin Harris, my first son with my fifth husband. I gave praise to his kind, innocent nature, his big blue eyes, his hair the color of autumn leaves, and his clear, flawless skin, inherited from me, obviously. His compassion was gained from all the idiotic imbeciles that dared to try and bring him down.

One imbecile was Lyle Ford.