Chapter 6

AN// THIS STORY IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!! TO CONTINUE READING MEANS THAT YOU AGREE TO ACCEPT THAT SOME PLOTLINES, NAMES, AGES, AND PEOPLE WILL CHANGE. THANK YOU FOR BEARING WITH ME AS I WORK TO MAKE THIS EXPERIENCE MORE VALUABLE TO YOU.

The lunch was...fine. Perfect! Amber and Brook's lunch had gone perfect, or at least, that's what she had thought.

She got Amber out of the orphanage for awhile, and the two got to catch up. She had seemed really happy, and Brook was able to account for the time that Amber was out so she hadn't gotten in trouble.

And yet, Amber still hadn't messaged Brook back since they had last hung out, and Brook was concerned. It wasn't like her friend to just ignore her like this.

At least, not without an explanation; without talking to her about it.

She would at least talk to Brook.

Brook had a doctors appointment coming up that she really didn't want to go to. It was a follow up, just to see how she was healing.

But Brook just wanted to be left alone.

The girl ran her hands over her sides, providing some comfort in a place she hadn't known ached. Every thing felt different, and she wasn't used to it. She didn't like it.

A small knock was placed on the bedroom door, sending a jolt up her spine and down her ribs. It wasn't that she didn't trust Dan and Phil, but she still didn't know them. She was still a stranger in their home.

In her home.

As the door opened, Brook was met with one of the most pleasant scents she had ever encountered.

"We made you breakfast!" Dan spoke, beaming over Phil's shoulder through the doorway

She always felt lost-- until she actually spoke to them.

"Oh! You aren't uh-- allergic to anything, are you? I probably should have asked.." Phil added, the two of them ushering into the room with a proud stride.

"We didn't burn the house down" Dan finished, before handing Brooklyn the plate of omelettes and ham.

"Oh-- That's probably for the best--" Brook replied, a wry smile creeping onto her face

"Okay, but more importantly, you aren't allergic to anything, right? We just got back from A&E and I don't know what kind of parents they would think we are!" Phil said, a hint of anxiety seeping through his words.

"Stop it, you're going to make her think she cant ask for help if she ever gets injured-- you can go to the A&E for anything you need!" Dan butted in, nudging Phil back with his shoulder as he spoke "But uh.. you aren't allergic to eggs, are you?"

A giggle escaped her lips as she picked up the fork, shaking her head. "No, I'm not allergic to anything yet." The girl began to eat, the silky egg causing her to cringe.

"Yet?" Dan pipped up, before Phil pushed his way through.

"Hey! If you aren't allergic to eggs, why don't you want your omelette?!" He joked, handing her a a salt shaker. Dan shot Phil a glare, mouthing the word 'heathen' to him.

"I don't know my family history, my medical history-- you two know more than I do, I think. I don't know what my forms said, but I was never told anything." Brook finally answered, while salting her plate. A sense of woe filled the room, causing her to look up.

"Oh.."

"It's fine, really." The girl stated, before setting her half eaten plate down and standing up, stretching.

"You know, you really have to stop doing that. The whole Sad Girl thing? It doesn't work for me" Brooklyn finished, before walking past the two, and out of the room.

Dan let out a soft sigh, as Phil quietly closed the door behind him. "I think..- I think we might have to get her a therapist, or psychologist, or..- or.. I don't know. But she won't eat, and I don't know if she's coping.." Dan rambled, taking a seat on Brooks un-made bed. "You know what they said, Dan.."

"What, the people who let kids attack each other without supervision?"

"You want them to fight with supervision?" Phil joked, nudging his partner. "You know we can't expect these institutes to have the funding to help every child, and we of all people know how dangerous that can be. but its better than-- what? Where would she have been? A family friend of hers? The streets? We have to give her some time to settle in. It's only been a week"

Dan sighed, resting his head against Phil's shoulder; a silent sign of agreement between the two.

Down the hall, Brook was sat in the living room, staring at one of the boys plates of food on the coffee table. A feeling of stress welled up inside her.

She had been thinking. A lot.

The thought of wasting the time of her new family-- it frightened her. She had never been in this position before, she hadn't had to question the consequences of her actions. It wasn't that she wasn't trying; really.

Nobody had taught her.

She still wasn't sure if she kept saying that because it was the truth, or if she kept saying that to convince herself.

Brooklyn stood up, anxiety welling up to a pit in her stomach. She brushing past the door frame and quickly bustled down the stairs. Brooklyn felt the cool doorknob beneath her hands as she twisted it, before glancing to her left.

She was met to a hanging coat rack with a few pieces of clothing on it. She slinked on a dark coat, and walked out the front door. She just needed some fresh air, and to get away from her thoughts.

The brunette girl seemed to be in autopilot mode, walking to a place she wasn't quite sure existed.

She didn't focus on any of the sights, or the people; or the cars. It was like something inside of her had taken over, and was walking for her. She passed tall buildings, and multiple streets, the busy sounds of the vibrant city ringing in her ears.

She turned down a side street, and was met with a park. It was full of green grass and trees everywhere. There was a walkway down the middle and a playground in the center. There was a lake farther down the side of the playground, following a hill, with a picnic table.

She walked towards the playground, finding a seat on the swings.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket, opening up Ambers messages. She started intently at the multitude of blue messages, all sent; never responded to. All the times Brook begged for a response. She felt the tears forming in her eyes, threatening to cloud her vision.

She typed out another message, the words reading "Did I do something wrong?" and stared at the message, her tears finally falling as she hit send.

She felt her sadness turn to pain as her message sent as green.

She was blocked.

Brooklyn burst out sobbing, tossing her phone away in anger. She didn't understand why this was happening to her. She felt alone, and suddenly, the world felt very big.