Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

Alastair felt his throat go dry, fear consuming him as smoke curled around both him and the demon. The houses grew obscure, fading away into blackness as Alastair felt himself hurtling through what he could only describe as nothingness. There was a pause, a short spell of silence before he opened his eyes, finding himself no longer in the cobbled London streets.

Around him, instead of huddled buildings and shops was a metal stair case spiraling upwards, grey support structures towering above him. Rows of windows set into the brickwork showed the dark sky outside, as well as the sprawling city of London with the Thames snaking down one side.

Turning around, Alastair looked past rails and platforms to see large bells hanging below him with crisscrossing metal grids above. It took him a minute to realize that he was in St Stephen's Tower, otherwise known as Big Ben.

Javier unceremoniously pushed Alastair forward, just a cold voice whispered from nearby.

"Alastair, how nice of you to drop by."

The man's blood ran cold as from the shadows of the belfry, Satan stepped out. He was dressed in blood red robes with his dark hair cascading down his back, smiling in an almost friendly manner at Alastair. But his eyes showed clearly the evil that lurked beneath the surface.

"M-master!" Alastair choked, falling onto his knees. "Master, please forgive me! I failed you,I failed to capture the Godling. Please my Lord--"

"Silence mortal." Satan's voice was like the crack of a whip. Alastair felt silent at once.

"Do not attribute your failure to my own. Your flimsy plan may have failed, but my plan is still running smoothly.

Alastair looked up at his master, confusion mingling with fear. "But my Lord, Joanne Hale- She has found out the truth! She will never join your side now. We have not fully corrupted her soul yet."

Satan laughed, while Javier shook his head as though Alastair has asked a very stupid question. The man's confused expression grew more prominent.

"Everything has happened as I wished it to." Satan said. "I wanted Joanne Hale to find out the truth, for it would only drive her further down the path of darkness. As for her soul, well, the seed I planted has already begun to sprout. Once she kills you, she shall be all mine."

"You planned this?" Alastair asked, mortified. "You wanted her to kill me? My Lord,I have served you faithfully for all these years. I have done everything you asked of me! I have been painstakingly trying to capture both the Guide and the Godling for you!"

The Devil laughed again, the cold sound reminding him greatly of Joan Hale. Satan looked down at Alastair almost sympathetically.

"You always were a fool Alastair." He drawled. "You only served me to gain wealth and power, not out of loyalty. But I shall be honest; I have been using you and the Amaki as well."

"My Lord-"

"Joanne Hale's soul can not belong to me until she completes her mission." Satan cut across. "And for that to happen, she has to kill her family all those who had a hand in her parents' murders. You are the last one left now. So that means you will have to die."

A horrified expression appeared on the man;s face,eyes practically bulging out of their sockets as he clutched his heart. Finally,regaining his ability to speak,he finally choked. "What about him?" Alastair pointed an accusatory finger at Javier, who had so far been observing the exchange with an amused expression. He did not react as Alastair continued pointing at him. "He should die too! After all, he is the one who killed the Hales!"

"Otherworldly creatures are excluded from the deal I made with the girl." Satan said coolly. "Javier has been a loyal demon. I do not wish to dispose of him."