Step Sister

Chapter 2

I'm sitting here listening to this guy talk about God knows what and all I want to do is leave.

Oh, I guess I'm being a little rude. The guy.. my moms boyfriend. Yep you heard me right, boyfriend. His name is asshole. I mean Riley.

And his three kids... Lauren is 17, Lacey is 12, and J.R is 10. They're okay I guess.

I mean.. how am I suppose to feel? All I know is my mom better not thinking about marrying this guy anytime soon.

After breakfast, well brunch would probably be a more appropriate term, everyone came back to our house.

Great more 'family' time.

"So what's it like to not have a dad?" That's Lauren talking. We're in my room because we can't bare to be out there with everyone else any longer.

"I mean, um... its still pretty new so.. idk." I tell her truthfully.

She lost her mom when she was seven so she knows exactly how much it sucks to be without a parent.

"How'd he die?" She asks, I immediately tear up thinking about it. She notices. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to... I'm.. It's just that... I'm gonna shut up now." We both giggle.

I must admit, she's an okay person and I cant be mad at her really because she had nothing to do with the asshole, I mean her dad hooking up with my mom. It's not like she set them up.

"Who's that girl in the picture?" She asks gesturing towards the photo of Spencer on my nightstand.

"My girlfriend." I state simply. Not really wanting to go into much detail about her.

I miss her.

"Oh." She said sitting up on my bed.

Don't tell me she's a homophobe because I seriously would not be able to deal with a homophobic step-sister.

Whoa...

Did I just call her my step-sister?

Let's rewind and pretend that never happened ok?

OK.

"Is something wrong?" I ask her, glancing back over at the picture of Spencer.

"Nope." She says laying back down. "How long have you two been together?" She asks turning over to look at me.

"On and off for about 5 months." I lay back down and stare at the ceiling. "The long distance thing is hard though." She looks confused. "Oh, she's not here. She's back in Atlanta. She visits and I visit her but its not the same."

"Oh." She says simply. "Me and my girlfriend broke up like 2 days ago." Whoa.. say what?

"You're gay?" I ask. I guess that's a dumb question huh.

"Yeah. My dad hates it though. He says its a phase and I'll get over it. We fight about it all the time." Wow

"Wow. That sucks."

"Yeah." She replies. "I'm not happy about this either you know." I shoot her a look.

"What?" I ask defensively. Even though I know exactly what she means.

"This." She says gesturing between us. "I don't want it anymore than you do. I just want my dad to be happy. And your mom makes him happy."

I guess I can understand where she is coming from. I mean I love my mom. And I want her to be happy.

"Yeah." I say sitting up. "I guess we should get back out there then." She follows me out.

Maybe this wont be so bad afterall...