Eliza

Married. We must be married in order for me to be able to be Kathrin's legal mom. But marriage is a huge step. A step that I'm not sure I'm willing to make.

I look over at Erik and see him already looking at me. I can't look him in the eyes, knowing that I can't marry him. So I look away. I hear him sigh, which means he knows my decision. But he can't blame me. I'm not just going to marry him just to be Kathrin's mom. I can't. I may seem like a bitch, but I just can't marry Erik. Not now.

"I'll leave you two alone." The judge says. I see him get up and walk out the room.

I take the risk and look over at Erik. He runs his hand through his hair and shakes his head.

"I think I know your decision. And I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to marry myself either." He says looking anywhere else but me.

"It's like that, Erik. Trust me. I just think that it's unnecessary for us to be married in order for me to be Kathrin's legal mom."

"What are we going to tell Kathrin? That you were being too much of a coward and not wanting to make her dream of having real parents again come true? Or that you'll be leaving for America soon, so it doesn't even matter? Which is it, Eliza?"

Eliza. Not liebe, but Eliza. I feel my heart being crushed, but I don't stay silent.

"No, Erik. It does matter. But you need to respect my decision of not wanting to marry you. I can't marry you, Erik. Please understand. I'm not ready for such a huge step."

"And you think I was ready for becoming Kathrin's legal dad? That's a huge step, too, Eliza. But I didn't do it for myself, I did it for Kathrin. Knowing that she was being abused at her foster home, made me do it. Maybe you should stop thinking about yourself for once and think about Kathrin." He says and walks out the court room.

I stay here. Looking at the door shut from the force Erik used. Everything he said repeats itself over and over again in my mind. I don't think about myself all the time, do I? I'm not selfish. I understand that Kathrin's dream is having real parents again, but maybe I'm not meant to be her legal mom. I can barely take care of myself, how am I supposed to take care of a four, almost five, year old?

I tell myself not to cry, but I can't seem to fight the tears. Erik left. He left me here alone. I get up and leave the court room. I take my phone out, ready to call a taxi or maybe Selene. But a black Audi stops me. It's still parked where Erik left it. I begin to walk towards it, maybe expecting it to be a different Audi.

I step outside and see Erik on his phone. He looks up and speaks to me. "Get in the car."

There's no emotion in his voice, but I don't think too much about it. I open the passenger door and sit inside. I look out the window the whole ride.

"You didn't actually leave me." I whisper.

"I'm not the type of guy to leave an American tourist out in Germany by herself." Is all he says.

Once again, my heart crushes.

We arrive to Erik's house, and I'm the first one to get out the car. I open the front door and see Erik's mother and Kathrin watching a movie together. I smile at Anne, and continue walking up the stairs. I reach my temporary room and begin to pack my suitcase with clothes. I pack everything that I brought with me. I can't leave any memories here.

I begin to think about when I first met Erik. I met him at a club the first night Selene and I arrived in Germany. His electrifying eyes captured my attention. The way he said his name.

"Erik. I'm Erik Durm.".

The way he smiled at me when I introduced myself.

"Nice to meet you all, I'm Eliza Belkin."