Erik

*NOT PROOFREAD*

It's been a week since I adopted Kathrin. And a week since I started dating Eliza. And I must say, everything is going perfect. I honestly love my life right now.

Eliza is so much different than Claire, but that's a good thing. She actually listens to me and pays attention to what I say. She's so much more understanding than Claire ever was.

As for Kathrin, she's the perfect little girl ever. She's so kind and enthusiastic about everything. If I would've known that being a dad was this much fun, then I probably would've adopted a child a long time ago. Every time Kathrin calls me 'dad' or 'daddy,' I get this unexplained feeling inside of me. It makes me smile instantly. And I can see that Eliza feels the same when Kathrin calls her 'mom' or 'mommy.' It's adorable.

I'm really enjoying my life with Eliza right now, I don't even want to think about the three weeks left that she's here. We decided to not talk about that, but I can't help but think about it once in awhile. Can I make her stay? I'm gonna miss her, but I'm pretty sure Kathrin will probably miss her, too. Eliza isn't even her legal mom, but they have a special connection. Actually, I'll ask Eliza if she would like to sign the papers to become her legal mom.

I see Eliza walk into the kitchen and open the fridge, setting Kathrin's cup inside.

She turns around and smiles when she sees me. "Kathrin fell asleep. I read her two books. One in English and the other in Spanish."

"You should read her one in German." I say.

She gives me a glare. "You know I don't know any German."

I laugh. "I know. But that's good that you're teaching her Spanish."

She nods. "Yeah. Who knows when she'll use it."

I nod and get up from the chair that I was sitting in. "Would you consider becoming Kathrin's legal mom?"

Eliza looks shocked, but nods her head. "Of course. I'd love to be her legal mom."

"Great! Then it's settled. We'll go tomorrow to the court and you'll sign some papers."

She smiles. "I can't wait."

I hug her and kiss her forehead. I wish we could stay like this forever. But, sadly, nothing lasts forever.

***

I'm standing there. In the airport. Eliza is about to board her plane back to America. I tell myself not to cry, but I can't seem to stop it. Kathrin breaks down in tears once she sees Eliza, her adoptive mom, not turn back to say goodbye. Not even once.

What's going on? Why isn't Eliza telling us goodbye?!

I grab Kathrin's left hand, ready to give up and just walk away.

"Oh, and by the way, I was only with you for your fame and money, Erik Durm." Eliza says. She says my name with so much disgust. She looks down at Kathrin and rolls her eyes. "Troubled child."

"W-what do you mean, Eliza? What are you saying?"

"I never loved you! Everything I did was fake. All of it! I just wanted money. And I got it, so I'm done here. Bye." She says, before walking away.

I stand there. Watching my love walk away from me.

I wake up with a jump. I look to my left and don't see Eliza there. I begin to panic, thinking that my dream was true. I run my hand over my face. Eliza would never do that, right? She's different. And I really like her.

I get up from bed and walk out the room. Kathrin's door is still closed, she must still be sleeping. I smile behind her door and walk downstairs.

I hear some music playing and smell food.

Es que yo sin ti, y tu sin mi, dime quien puede ser feliz, eso no me gusta, eso no me gusta

I smile as I realize that that's Eliza singing. I don't fully understand the language, but I know that's Spanish. I walk in the kitchen, slowly, and wrap my arms around her. Kissing her cheek.

"Fuck you, Erik! You scared me." She says.

I smirk at her. "Just tell me when, and you'll have the best night of your life."

She slaps me on the arm and I laugh. "I'm just kidding, Eliza."

She gives me a glare but then smiles. "Fine. Is Kathrin still sleeping?"

I nod. "That I know of. You ready to be her legal mom, as of today?"

She smiles and nods her head. "Yes. Oh my God, yes. Imagine the look on my moms face when I tell her I have a daughter."

I smile. "It'll be great."

She nods. "She'll freak out. And when I go back to America-" she stops, noticing the smile on my face fading once she mentions America.

She covers her mouth with her hands. "Oh my God, Erik! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to bring it up."

I stop her. "It's fine, Eliza. We both know it's gonna happen either way, might as well face it now." I say with a frown.

She shakes her head. "I'm so stupid for bringing it up. You probably hate me now."

I grab her hands and make her look at me. "I don't hate you. I could never, Eliza." I kiss her quickly.

"Mommy? Daddy?" We both hear behind us.

I turn around and see Kathrin rubbing her eyes. I smile and pick her up, "Good morning, baby. How'd you sleep?"

"Good. I like this bed better than the floor."

"The floor?" Eliza asks.

Kathrin nods. "I used to sleep on the floor at Ms. Lynn's house. Everyone else got beds, except me."

I hate her.

"Well now you have a bed, Kath. And you'll never sleep on the floor again." I say, kissing her tiny forehead.

Kathrin giggles and wraps her tiny arms around my neck, giving me a big kiss on the cheek. "What are we doing today, daddy?"

I look over at Eliza and smile. "We're going to the court so Eliza can sign some papers, so she can be your mom."

"But she's already my mom." Kathrin says.

Eliza nods. "Yes, Kath, I am. But the world doesn't see that yet. I need to sign some papers so I can be your legal mom, and so there won't be any problems."

Kathrin smiles. "Oh! Okay!" She motions for Eliza to come join our hug. Kathrin wraps one arm around my neck and the other around Eliza. I wrap my free arm around Eliza and she does the same. I kiss the side of Eliza's forehead.

"Alright, let's go get those papers signed." I say.

We pull away and I hear the doorbell ring. I hand Kathrin over to Eliza and walk to the door. I open it and my eyes widen.

"M-mom?"