Eliza

"Eliza!" My mother yelled. "Get your tiny butt down here!"

I groan and get up from my bed. It's not even that late! It's 12:38 pm. Plus, I wasn't even asleep. I was watching funny YouTube videos.

"Coming, mom!" I say back.

I run down the stairs, skipping a step or two. I step into the kitchen and see my mom sitting down with my best friend, Selene. I stare at them and they smile at me.

"Sweetie. Selene, here, has some exciting news for the both of you." My mom smiles.

I raise an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah? What news?"

Selene grins and says, "We're going to Germany!"

"We're going where now?"

Selene laughs. "Germany."

Alright. Now let me tell you about Selene.

Selene Martinez, originally born in Santiago, Chile, was abandoned by her parents at an early age. Luckily, Mr. And Mrs. Clarke adopted her while they visited Chile. My mom and the Clarke's are close friends, so you can say that Selene has been my friend since forever. We went to school together, experienced our first heartbreak together (another story for another time), and we graduated high school together. We were even voted "Most likely to stay friends forever" in school.

Selene is sarcastic, but also serious when it's necessary. Having been born with natural Latina killer looks, she has brown hair with green eyes. And she has an amazing body. Not being lesbian, but it's true. She played every sport in high school, but her favorite was always soccer. She even got me to play soccer my junior year. And I gotta admit it, I loved it.

"Why?" I finally asked.

"Why what?" Selene said.

"Why are we going to Germany? What's in Germany?"

"Everything! And I thought that we could use a little vacation with classes starting soon." She explained.

I groan at the thought of having to go to college soon.

"Why'd you bring that up?" I say, referring to class.

Selene laughs. "It's starts September, it's only July. So, what do you say? Will you come to Germany with me?"

She gives me the puppy eyes and I roll my eyes. "Fine. I'll go, but I won't enjoy it."

***

"Are you all packed?" My mom says.

I nod and wipe sweat off my forehead. "Yeah. About time."

"You're going until the last week of August, not four years." My mom says rolling her eyes.

I laugh and look down at my suitcase. I literally packed my whole closet. I might be exaggerating, but I'm a girl. And I need cute outfits, especially if I'm going to a foreign country. I need to make America look good.

My mom walks away from the door and hugs me. "I'm going to miss you so much."

I hug back and hold the tears. "Me too, mama. But I'll be back. I promise."

"Unless you find a boy over there that makes you change your mind."

I shake my head. "No boy would ever make me change my mind."

Besides, I can't let myself fall for a German guy. It'll never work out. And it's not like some German would fall for me.

"Better get going. Sel is already at the airport."

I nod and get my suitcase. "Mom? Will you do the honors of taking me to the airport?"

She nods. "Of course."

***

"Aren't you excited?!" Selene asks me once I get to the airport.

I nod, "Yeah."

We are currently getting checked, our bags, our IDs. Everything.

"Alright, Miss. Belkin. You're all set." The worker tells me.

I nod. "Thanks." I walk past him and wait for Sel.

"Selene Martinez, huh? Born in Santiago, Chile, but a U.S. Citizen. How?" The guy asked.

"It's called living here since you were ten with great people who aren't even my real parents. Since the real ones were too much of cowards to take care of me." Selene said.

"So, you're an illegal immigrant?"

"The fuck?! No! Do you not see my damn US passport? I'm a U.S. Citizen!" Selene says.

"Sure..."

Selene rolls up her sweater sleeves. "Hijo de pu-"

Having realize what she was gonna say, I butt in. "Can you please be useful and just check her passport?"

He nods and does as he's told.

"You're all set, Miss. Martinez." He winks.

"Cerdo." She says.

"You can't just call him mean Spanish names." I say.

"He deserves it! Calling me illegal? Pshh. I'm more legal than he'll ever be." Selene says. "Plus, I gotta defend my Latino family."

Yep. That's Selene. Calling people swear words in Spanish just cause they won't understand. But I guess it's a good thing to have a friend that speaks fluent Spanish, cause then you'll learn. And I did. And, boy, is Spanish fun!

"So, what do we do now?" Selene says. She pulls out the tickets. "We don't leave until 7:15 pm. It's only 6:25 pm."

"We can find a place to eat or something."

"Hm. Starbucks."

We walk to Starbucks and order our usual order.

"Flight D12 to Dortmund, Germany is boarding now."

We hop off our seats and walk to the tunnel. We hand the flight attendant our tickets and get on the plane.

We find our seats and sit down.

"Fuck you, Eliza. I wanted the window." Selene says.

I smile. "Yeah. Well you practically forced me on this trip. So, it's only fair I get the window."

She rolls her eyes and buckles up.

"Germany, here we come!" Selene says enthusiastically.

"Yeah. Germany, here we come." I say bored.

I look out the window and realize that we're already off the ground. I can't believe it. I'm leaving Virginia. The only home I've known.

I'll be back, Virginia, I promise.

-------------------

HELLO!!

I know I said I wasn't going to upload this book until I finished my other one, but I couldn't resist.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

Please continue reading. Comment. Please. And vote. If you want!

SPANISH VOCABULARY:

Hijo, de puta- son of a bitch

Cerdo- pig

YOU ALL JUST LEARNED SOME SPANISH THANKS TO SELENE!