twenty.

My mother rubbed my arm soothingly as I rested my head on her shoulder. We haven't been able to see my father yet; he had to have surgery on his leg. I texted Mike and Maddie to let them know what exactly was going on.

"Mrs. Newman?" A petite nurse approaches my mother and I clipboard in her hand. My mother stands up, leaving me forced to support my head on my own.

"Is he okay?" My mom fidgeted with her hands. I have never seen her this nervous before.

"He's alright, recovering from survey right now. He's still resting, so you can't talk to him. But you can go in and see him if you'd like." The nurse informed us.

My mom turned back to face me. She held out her hand which I quickly took. We both walked slowly into my dad's hospital room.

"Look at him." My mom chuckled very softly, shaking her head. "He was always the one getting injured. When he was in the seventh grade, he broke both arms in the same year."

I half-smiled at my mom, rubbing her back gently. She may not always act like it, but she is madly in love with my father, and would die if he died.

She left my side and went to go sit next to my dad on his bed. I decided to excuse myself and go get us some food.

I pulled out my phone as I walked down the hall to the elevators, having texts from both Maddie and Mike.

Mike:
Aw honey, I am so sorry :( Hope he recovers well. I'll bring you your favorite breakfast tomorrow

Maddie:
Come to my house soon and we'll have a lovely movie night. I love you. Tell me if you need anything.

I replied back to them just as the elevator stopped and the doors opened.

Harry's POV

I walked into my classroom and set my bag down along with my cup of coffee. My hair was pulled back into a bun, again. It was probably the most comfortable hair style I have ever tried.

A few hours later, the bell rang, and in came all of the students. "I'm going to take attendance, so please keep quiet so I can hear."

"Has anyone seen Alex or Charlie today?" I asked the class. "No." Everyone replied in unison.

I began presenting today's project pretending like half of the class wasn't on their phones.

After I was done, I sat next to Maddie to try and get some information on the absence of Charlie.

"So Maddie how was your day so far?" I asked enthusiastically.

"Boring. I wanna go home." She said. I laughed, scribbling on my paper to make it look like I'm doing something.

"What's up with Charlie? She alright?" I questioned.

"She's with her dad in the hospital." Maddie said, opening up the Facebook app on her phone. "What happened?"

"He was in a car accident and had to get leg surgery." She told me.

...

Later that day I made my way to the local hospital. It was fairly dark outside by the time I parked my car. I took out my phone and texted Charlie.

Hey, I heard about your dad. Come outside, love. I'm in the parking lot.

I waited for a few minutes before I saw my beautiful girl emerge from the hospital. She wasn't mine but she still was.

She got in my car with a tired face and tangled hair. She was still breathtaking.

"Hey, how are you?" I immediately took her hand. "I'm alright. Just feeling a bit stressed." She shut her eyes and leaned her head against the window. My thumb drew circles on the side of her hand. It was quiet, but not a weird quiet. It was a comforting quiet that let us appreciate each other's desperately needed presence.

A few moments later she repositioned herself so her head was on my shoulder. "Do you need anything?" I asked her. "Shh," She whispered. "You. I just need you to be here with me." She hugged my arm close to her chest.

"Of course."

Author's note: so I know what I want to do with the story but it's hard to put it into chapters if that makes sense? I think this chapter is really cute. I think you're cute. Have a nice day / evening. Apoliges for any potential typos. Typed it up on my phone lmao.