Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Gabriella's POV

I yanked my hair out of the ponytail I had put it in earlier. I felt it tumble around my shoulders, and I sling-shotted the elastic band I had put it in into my drawer. I overshot slightly and it slid across the top of my dresser before dissappearing behind it, landing among dustbunnies and God-knows-what. I shrugged indifferently and started towards my kitchen for a granola bar.

I suddenly heard a blood-curdling scream that made me drop the box I was holding. The bars clattered to the ground, but I didn't care. There came another piercing shriek and I started shaking. it sounded like it was coming from the floor above me...

My eyes widened. Violet!

Oh God, no, no, no, not Violet. Lord, please, not Violet. I know I say that I hate her but I really don't. Oh God, don't let that be her.

I heard loud noises from the floor above, something that sounded suspiciously like heavy footsteps.

My heart pounded wildly as I woke from my paralyzed state and bolted into the hallway. I sprinted up the stairs to the fifth floor, and was greeted by an awful sight.

I started shaking as I saw someone outside of Violet's apartment. He was dressed in all red, and I recognized the symbolism in disgust. I felt sick to my stomach.

The Red Death.

From Poe. His poem...that was Violet's favorite. I was siezed with panic as the situation dawned on me. I screamed involuntarily, my throat going hoarse at the end.

The man turned around, and upon seeing me, darted the other way. I looked at the trail of blood he had left behind and swallowed nervously.

I forced myself to step through the door that had been left ajar by the murderer. I walked slowly through the threshold of the doorframe.

There was blood everywhere.

A scarlet trail led from the door to...

I followed it with my eyes, immensly terrified of what lay at the end.

Violet's body lay next to the ugly floral print sofa I had always teased her about. I whimpered and ran to her side. I listened half-heartedly for a pulse, but none came, just like I knew it wouldn't. I knelt down and stared into her lifeless jade eyes. Tears worked a steady, sticky trail down my cheeks. Some dripped onto Violet's hand. I paused for a moment- she seemed to be clutching something.

Taking a shuddering breath, I wrenched a piece of paper from her limp hand.

I gave you until ten. Now look how it ends.

It was signed with a flourish, in someone's scratchy, spidery handwriting. I couldn't make out the signature, as my tears were staining the note, blurring the ink to being unintelligable.

I looked at Violet again with shaky eyes. They traveled down her body until I discovered her wound.

She had been stabbed to death, that much was evident. A-I swallowed and turned my head away at the sight-blood-drenched dagger lay by her left side. Her back was completely mutilated, random scratches carved into the skin. As I peered closer, however, the marks didn't seem as random. With horror, I realized they were words.

I gagged and stuffed a fist in my mouth to keep from crying out in anguish. I struggled, but finally managed to make out the words.

You need to do as we claim

Believe me, this isn't a fun game.

What? Why? How? So many questions ran through my mind. I noticed blindly that I was covered in her blood, but I didn't care. Who in their right mind would have the gall to do this?