Chapter 39

The shock the two of them faced was unimaginable. After Jamie had beaten her cancer, they assumed she'd be alright. But it turns out it started coming back vigorously. Gabby had been with Dinah and Normani, as Jamie said she needed to sleep, and she hadn't been able to for days. She died in her sleep, and the nurse had found her when she came to check on her.

Now, Camila and Lauren sat at the courthouse, waiting to be called in to discuss where Gabby would go.

"We're going to need you two to decide if you'll take her, permanently this time. If you don't, she'll go into a foster home. We normally wouldn't have the adoption process start this fast but, under the circumstances it'd be better if she stayed out of a home as she isn't even two years old. I'll give you some time to think," a woman told the two of them softly before standing and walking out.

Camila turns to Lauren, both of their eyes still shiny to match their tear-stained cheeks.

"We've done this before, and it was pretty hard," Lauren says nervously after a moment, sniffling.

"But this time we're married. And... and she needs us. She doesn't have anyone else, Laur," Camila replies softly, rubbing the back of her hand. Lauren furrows her eyebrows.

"What if we mess up?" she asks quietly.

Camila shakes her head, placing her hand on her wife's cheek and rubbing her thumb against it gently. "Laur, we're all going to mess up sometimes. Nobody's perfect. And Gabby already likes us. She's only a year and five months anyway, she'll adjust, just as we will," she says.

"For better or for worse, remember?" she adds after a moment, smiling softly and kissing the tip of Lauren's nose.

Lauren smiles back and nods. "Alright. Let's be a family," she says, making Camila smile.

The younger girl hugs her tightly, and they discuss a few things with the social worker that had talked to them earlier. After a few signed papers and a little more talking, they had temporary custody of Gabby. When she was about two years old they would have to come back to make it official, but it already felt that way to Camila and Lauren. The police had gathered all of Gabby's things from Jamie's house and dropped it off at their apartment, so all they needed to do was drive home.

---A few weeks go by without any problems. Gabby got settled back in fast, and they fell into a routine with her in the morning so it wasn't as difficult this time. After Camila and Lauren had fed her lunch, they were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"I got it," Camila calls behind her, already heading towards it. Her heart rate speeds up when she sees Gabby's social worker, Mrs. Prescott, on the outside of their door.

"U-um... hi. Come in," Camila says, giving her a nervous smile. Why was she here? They'd been raising Gabby without any complications.

"Who is it, Camz?" Lauren calls from the kitchen.

"It's um, it's Mrs. Prescott," she says. She can hear Lauren stop moving for a moment. She comes walking out with Gabby in her arms and a confused look on her face.

"I thought your checkup wasn't until next week?" she questions.

Mrs. Prescott sighs. "Well it was, but... I'm afraid I have some bad news," she tells them nervously.

"What is it?"

"Jamie's sister, Marissa is taking you two to court for custody of Gabby," she says regretfully.

"What?! But she hasn't even spoken to Jamie in years!" Lauren exclaims angrily. Camila puts a gently hand in her shoulder.

"We'll get through this together, Lo. Just like we always have," she says, making Lauren smiles softly.

"You two are to be at the courthouse at 9 am tomorrow morning. I'm sorry," she says honestly. Since she was there and it would help their case, she looks around the apartment to find everything baby proofed, all things potentially dangerous to a one-and-a-half year-old out of reach, and the house was fairly clean.

"Marvelous. It's a shame this happened, you two are great parents. Hopefully the judge sees that as well. I'll see you tomorrow morning," Mrs. Prescott says.

They say goodbye, and as soon as the door shuts, Lauren groans.

"I can't believe this," she says in frustration. Camila walks over to her and wraps her arms around her, kissing her gently.

"We'll be okay," she says.

They both look down at Gabby, waddling her way around to grab a toy. She was starting to mumble a few words, even though t was mostly just noises. It broke their hearts whenever she questioned 'mama?' at bed time, and they had no clue how to handle that. So they would just smile sadly, kiss her head, and that was that.

Lauren sighs, kissing Camila's temple lovingly. "I love you," she says honestly, relaxing into her arms.

Camila smiles. "I love you, too,"

-----

a/n: Guys. The next chapter is the last one omg that's so weird to think about. Also idk why the last one said chapter 31 because uh that's not what i put but okayyy. Anyway, have a good day/night, ily all.

-Ashleigh

{IG: Milaslayme, Twitter: gtg_cabello}