Chapter 16

Camila wakes up the morning of Christmas Eve with excitement, eager to see friends today and to be home with her family for Christmas. A nurse comes in wearing a Santa hat and nurse scrubs with little reindeer heads on them, and she checks the machines next to her bed as someone did every morning. "Hi, Camila. How are you today?" she asks kindly, writing down her heart rate.

"I'm great. I'm so excited to be home for Christmas," she says honestly.

"Are you heading home today?"

Camila nods eagerly, making the older woman chuckle. "Thats great. The doctor's going to come in here soon to tell you some news," she says vaguely.

Camila nods slowly in understanding, even though that confused her. "So what do you do for Christmas?" Camila asks her interestedly, changing the subject. The nurse looks up at her and smiles softly, and Camila can see the happiness in her eyes just because of her thinking about it.

"Well, every year my family and I go to church before we head home to have a huge dinner with literally EVERYONE in my family," she says, laughing softly. "My oldest daughter just had my first granddaughter a few months ago, so I'm excited to be there for her first Christmas," she says, smiling at the thought. Camila smiles at her story.

"That sounds amazing. I'm sure you're a very happy grandma, although you seem a little young to be one," she says honestly.

She nods. "I got pregnant at sixteen," she says, her smile falling. Camila raises her eyebrows.

"Wow, that must've been hard."

The nurse nods. "It was awful at first. My parents kicked me out and the baby daddy ran off with some other girl so uh... I had to live with my grandparents for a few years," she says, avoiding Camila's gaze.

"It's okay. I'm not judging you. I just didn't know, that's all," Camila says, noticing her anxiety.

She nods, looking back up at her and smiling softly. "But that's all behind me. I met my husband a few years later and we eventually had three more children, and we've got a steady income now. That's all I've ever needed and wanted in life so, it's alright now." The nurse finishes checking the machines and Camila's blood pressure. "Merry Christmas, Camila," she says.

Camila smiles brightly. "Thank you. Merry Christmas..." she looks at her name tag, the nurse not being in here when she was awake before. "Gloria," she finishes, giving her a small wave. Gloria smiles, waving back before leaving the room.

--

About an hour later, the doctor came into the room with Sinuhe following close behind him, seeming anxious. Camila looks up from her phone, setting it down and sitting up straight.

"Happy Holidays, Camila, Sinuhe," he says cheerfully, wearing a Santa hat.

"Happy Holidays to you too. I-is something wrong?" Camila asks nervously as Sinuhe sits down in a chair.

"No no no, I'm here bering great news for once," he chuckles. "You are being discharged today," he says after a moment.

"Really?!" Camila asks in both excitement and disbelief.

"You won't be able to be out of your chair for a while still but, you are both allowed to be home for a while at a time. You'll just need to come back for appointments and such, and then stay for a few hours afterwards in your old rooms but, other than that, you're free," he explains.

"Thank you thank you thank you," Sinuhe says happily, hugging him.

"You're very welcome," he says, laughing.