Chapter 26

Although she's mostly just doodled on things during class when she was bored, Lauren had to admit: she loved art. She liked to draw and paint. Art class was always her favorite in elementary and middle school. Everyone she knew had told her countless times how good she was at it. Which was why she wasn't totally shocked when her art teacher was more than happy to tell her that the local college had improved their core art classes, and she put a teacher recommendation for Lauren to join in the fall. Camila was more than pleased. She was ecstatic for Lauren, and at first the green eyed girl didn't know why. "Because I'm going to the University of Miami, too!" Camila had told her excitedly. Dinah was going there as well, and they hoped Ally and Normani were, too, as they hadn't heard back yet. What did surprise Lauren, though, was when she was also asked to be their class's Valedictorian. Of course she said yes because that was a huge accomplishment for her. Camila had helped her with the speech, the two of them talking for hours on what to say. 

Now, sitting in her cap and gown with Camila, Dinah, Normani and Ally at her class's senior graduation, Lauren looks around sadly at everyone, including the teachers and families of students sitting near the sides. She had bad experiences at this school, yes, but she still spent four years of her life here. She spots Stacy sitting with her friends, and waves gently. She was a total bitch and Lauren never wanted to talk to her again, but she wanted to leave this place on good terms. 

Stacy looks confused before hesitantly waving back, returning her attention back to the stage. Lauren looks around at all the teachers, seeing some she hated and also ones she actually really liked. 

She was close with the art teacher, Mrs. Harvoni, the most out of all of the school staff, and that included her counselor. She always kept her company during lunch when she didn't share it with Ally and/or Normani before she met Camila and Dinah, and Lauren chose to go to the art room instead. Mrs. Harvoni gave her small tasks to do at times, but she always kept a conversation going whether Lauren was putting away papers or painting something small and simple. The short old woman was probably the nicest teacher in the whole building, any student could tell you that. She always went on about how her husband always gave her a single rose when she went to work to put on her desk to remember him while they were apart, hence the huge bouquet of roses blooming on her desk. It was always full, because every time one died, another was added. 

Lauren pays extra attention to the woman as she walks up to the podium after they accepted their diplomas. 

"I'm going to miss all of you so, so much. You've been very annoying over the years, but that's alright because I've gotten used to your little bickering. I actually expect it every day," she says, making everyone laugh lightly. "I also know you all have great potential. Once you go off to college, make sure you do what you love. No matter what it is, remember that nobody else's approval matters with what you want. It's your life. Take it by the horns," she says, her voice wavering slightly. "Many of you are like my grandchildren now, so... to see you going off and living your dreams makes me so proud. I do this every year with my seniors... I've probably had over a million students and I can remember ALMOST all of their names, which is pretty impressive for my age," everyone chuckles. She was always joking around, making everyone feel safe and comfortable in her class. 

Sometimes instead of working on projects, she would have everyone discuss how their day went and if someone was upset, they'd talk about it for a while. She was like half art teacher, half counselor. And she didn't even have to do that.

"So before I go crying my eyes out, I just wanted to say good luck, and I hope you all have an amazing life," she finishes, laughing softly as she wiped a tear away. 

Everyone stands and claps, some even wiping away tears as well. Nobody thought leaving would be this hard, especially since everyone spent their four years here complaining about being there and how they couldn't wait to graduate. They were thrilled, yes, but there would always be a part of them that never left that school. 

Camila grabs Lauren's hand once they sit back down, and she smiles at her warmly before walking up to the stage. She glances out into the audience, seeing Camila smiling supportively and she relaxes a little. She steps up to the intimidating podium, looking around at everyone before clearing her throat. 

"Well everyone... we did it," she starts off, laughing softly along with some others. "Everyone tells you when you're growing up that high school can either be the best or the worst years of your life. You never really realize how true that is until you actually experience it for yourself because everyone's experience is different. 

"I learned not everyone is friendly, not everyone is accepting, and not everyone will appreciate you for who you are. You get made fun of, talked about, and cry to yourself at times," she says, looking at Stacy and her posse, who all up look at her guiltily. 

"But it's also a place where you meet new people, and people who wind up being closer to you than anyone you've every known," she continues, meeting Camila's eyes before looking back at her notes. "Someone once said to me, 'Lauren, hold on to the friends in your life. Because without them, you'd be miserable. It'd be dreadful to be alone through high school.' I realize now that the friends you have now that you appreciate so much, that are like your rock... after high school they all grow distant before you stop talking altogether. I don't know how many of you I'll see in the fall, I may not see some of you ever again... but I'm saying now, that I'm happy we were able to experience this together, and I hope everyone is happy wherever they end up. And don't get too drunk at college parties," she jokes, making everyone laugh lightly along with some hollers from the boys. 

"Remember... this is just the beginning. Goodbye everyone," Lauren says, her voice cracking a bit before she steps down from the microphone. Everyone applauds, standing and some whistle and shout happily. Many of the girls wipe away tears before everyone simultaneously throws their caps in the air. Lauren rushes down to hug Camila tightly, lifting her up and spinning her resulting in the younger girl squealing cutely. She kisses her gently as she sets her back down, the corners of her mouth tugging up into a smile before Camila's does the same. They pull apart to hug anyone and everyone around them, congratulation each other before everyone goes off to find their families.

"I can't believe it's over," Dinah says once the five of them meet back up.

"It's just the end of this chapter of our lives, is all," Camila says, rubbing her upper arm comfortingly. 

"Exactly. We'll be just as dumb and just as immiture in college," Normani jokes, shoving her arm lightly. They all laugh softly before saying their goodbyes for now, having to go back home with their families.

----

a/n: This was actually hard to write, so I'm sorry it took so long. I wanted Lo's speech to be good so... yeah that on top of school and homework and being with family it took five years to write it all. I'm going to the Twenty One Pilots concert tonight so I won't be able to upload my next chapter probably until tomorrow night bc I'm just going home with my friend. Have a good day, ily all.

-Ashleigh

{IG: Milaslayme, Twitter: gtg_cabello}