Chapter Twenty Eight

The world ground to a standstill. Jon inhaled quickly with shock. It was a bad mistake to make. The smell had risen to a more potent stink and the two of them had, unknowingly to themselves, been breathing shallowly to avoid such inhalations. Immediately he began to choke. He dropped to his knees, clutching his throat as bile threatened to rise up. It wasn't the most attractive of poses. Artemis, being the good friend that she was, instead of rushing to his side to offer comfort and support, spun around quickly to see the cause of it all. What she saw terrified her.

In spinning around, dust motes had been thrown into the air and clustered onto her face and clothing. Those still aloft obscured her view of the heap which had started to heave and tumble forwards. A tsunami of artefacts, sharp and soft, began to crash on to her. Choking back the dust, Artemis scuttled towards Jon who had recovered and was now crouched, frozen to the floor. She pressed herself up against the door, physically pushing herself away from the danger, and tried to turn the doorknob. From the heap a figure began to emerge.

It visually stank. Artemis could almost see the smell emanate and radiate towards them. It breathed in deep, raspy breaths that were punctuated by the snarl of a cracked, dry throat. It coughed and spluttered, there was a splatter of a substance that sounded sickeningly like blood. Flecks of the liquid clung to, and stained, the heap it wore. Artemis then did something she would deny for the rest of her life: she let out a shriek and clung to Jon's arm. It tensed beneath her grip and for a moment she thought he was going to unsheathe the sword and charge at it. Instead Jon just tensed with fear, his heart pounded and thudded with the sound of Artemis'.

As the figure approached them, it trod on the cloak that had amassed on it's head. As it fell, a thatch of untidy, red, tangled hair was revealed. The heap stumbled and fell backwards. Artemis and Jon felt ridiculous, and sprang apart. What on earth were they scared about? The pile suddenly growled with frustration and the pair jumped back together, immediately adopting the pose from before.

With a final snarl, the heap pulled off the shag rug and coughed heavily. It's body wracked with deep coughs, and as the dust finally settled it revealed a scrawling figure lying atop of the mess.

"Gingers aren't that scary." It remarked, scowling at them both. It removed a green and silver scarf that was near strangling it to death, and felt the welts it had left with it's other hand, "have you got any ambrosia?"

Instantly Jon and Artemis sprung apart. Artemis scowled back at the blackened figure beneath her. By the looks of things Jon had recognised her too.

"Rachel?" He asked as he went to her side hesitantly.

"Yep." She replied. Suddenly he jumped back in distaste and alarm. Rachel brandished a mottled, green, splotchy arm at him - it wasn't hers, and it stank.

~~~

Hey. So I've updated twice today, and I might update again. I've gotta read back some of what I've written because it's been such a long time - I know, it's my fault really so I should just stop complaining - I'm consulting my notes (oohh, makes me sound all professional doesn't it? In reality I'm in my pyjamas, in the middle of the living room, with a laptop on my lap - where else? - eating cereal) and I've added things to the actual story on here that isn't in them :-P kinda stupid, eh?

Anyway, hopefully I'll update again today. And if I don't then I will during the half-term holidays :)

Over and out. Live long and prosper. And May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Always. :)