Chapter 3 - "Take time to Realize"

“How about some banana split for dessert,” I hear Mariah ask as we head to the kitchen.

“So Seb,” George, another of Carly's friends breaks the silence as we join the girls. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

“None, as far as I know,” I tease.

“Aye this is perfect! Ian and Carly, me and my baby and now Seb and Mariah,” George announces.

Amy nearly chokes on her pizza and punches George's arm as soon as she recovers. I glance at Mariah while everyone else is giggling; she looks a little red. She's blushing...how adorable. Just when I thought I was the only one who noticed her, my sister nudge her elbow and smiles rather weirdly and she mumbles “stop it”. She's cute...uh, I mean that's cute.

After eating we dip our feet in the pool. Kristen did mention that Carly's a terrible dancer but I didn't know she can sing: actually they can all sing! So does Mariah, I assume. We're the only ones who haven't taken the spotlight.

'Heads up Seb! You're next!'

After Carly finishes her song, “this is not cool,” George complains. “You people need to learn how to play this thing,” he adds tapping his guitar, “my fingers hurt.”

'Should I come out of the water? Should I?'

*Flashback*

“Well someone was blushing,” I hear my sister's voice. I'm on my way to the kitchen to get some thing to drink when I overhear the girls snickering. It seems like they're making fun of someone and of course it has to be Mariah.

“So little missy was that for my bro,” Carly asks sternly but I bet deep inside she's laughing.

No answer. I wonder how embarrassed she is right now and how much she's blushing. I smile on my thoughts.

*End Flashback*

“Gimme,” I notion for the guitar and notice how George's jaw drops.

“I guess I can show better than I can tell. Now give me. Any requests,” I ask as he hands me the guitar.

“What about you and Iah...right, you two sing together,” Amy bursts out.

I look at Mariah trying to get some kind of approve or any reaction by she manages to hide them all. Finally, “what song,” she asks Amy.

“Two is better than one?” Ian budges in...

I remember what you wore on the first day

You came into my life and I thought

Hey, you know this could be something.”

Looking at Mariah as I wait for her to sing her part I notice something different. She seems...hurt or maybe she's that much into the song. I honestly don't know.

Cause everything you do and words you say

You know that it all takes my breath away

And now I'm left with nothing

She looks up and our eyes meet approaching the chorus.

So maybe it's true

that I can't live without you

My heart skips! Her voice, wow!

And maybe two is better than one

But there's so much time

To figure out the rest of my life

and you've already got me coming undone

And I'm thinking two is better than one...