Chapter 1 - "Start of Something New"

Saying goodbye to the people you love is tough, trust me I know. I hugged mom one last time before heading to the boarding gates of the airport. It’ll be a while before I see her again but I also know that this would do me a lot of favour. I need this; I need to get away from this place and besides my stepdad and my little brother will be taking of her anyways so I really shouldn’t worry about her.

After flying for who knows how long, I finally landed in Los Angeles. At this point, I’m really anxious. I don’t know how I’ll react when I see him. Put it this way: I haven’t met him in person –ever –and yeah we’ve talked on the phone couple of times but that started just two weeks ago, when I told my mom that I need to run away from all the stress and pain. He happens to be the only one who can help me at this point

As my thoughts about him flood my head, I hear a familiar voice call out my name.

“Seb, over here son!”

I turn to my right and see a guy about six feet tall with short brown hair; it must be him. I walk towards him as he take his sunglasses off giving me better look of his face; mom was right, I look a lot like him. Now I know why my eyes are green and how I’m six foot three when everyone else in my mom’s family are average height; no one else stands over six feet besides me.

'Am I looking at myself twenty years from now?"...  I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Finally!” he smiled while reaching his arms out for a hug.

I froze when he wrapped his arms around me. Well this is weird. All my life I’ve hated him for abandoning me and mom for years and yet I feel joy when I finally saw him…You can’t let your guard down Seb. No!

“How are you?” he asks while letting me go.

“I’m-uh good.”  I answer while forcing myself to smile. I’m glad I was able to.

“Well you must be tired from your flight so let’s get you home. The family’s waiting for you.”

As we walk to the parking lot, I finally had the gut to ask him the question that’s been bothering me.

“Uhhm, I don’t be mean to be rude but you said ‘family’. You uh-“

“I see you still don’t know.” He said, cutting me off. “Seb, I promised your mom I wouldn’t mention anything about my family to you unless you ask. I think she didn’t want you to get involved with me in any way and I totally understand why. You see I’ve been married for about eighteen years. I have two daughters Carly and Kristen.”

“Carly’s a few months younger than you and Kristen is twelve.” He continued as we approach a black BMW X6. It’s so shiny that even if I inspect the car with a microscope I wouldn’t see a dust or a scratch.

“Oh sorry,” I blinked a couple of times, making sure I’m not dreaming. “Nice car.” I smile and this time, it’s sincere. “And they’re fine with me staying at your house? What about your wife? Does she know about me?”

I see him nodding from the corner of my eye. “You don’t have to worry about them,” he assures, “they know about you and for sure, they would be happy to see you.” He finished by patting my shoulder.

The car ride home was quiet and the next thing I know we’re taking an exit from the highway and entering this huge neighborhood. I swear I’m about to break my neck by looking back at every house I see. Oh jk, they’re not considered houses, they’re called MANSIONS!

“Good! You’re loving it here,” dad said smiling.

I smile back at him –because that is all I can do. My mind can’t even form something to say to him. And when he pulled up in front of a house in a cul-de-sac, I felt my jaw drop and my mouth open. Oh boy it was gorgeous! His house is probably five times bigger than mom’s in Australia! I look at him with amusement.

He chuckled, probably cause I’m looking really stupid right now. Imagine, his seventeen year old son acting like a five year old girl because of his mansion. Well you can’t blame me. Like I said, I don’t know a lot about him so I didn’t even know he’s this rich.

“Don’t worry Seb. I’m pretty sure the girls would love to give you a tour later.”

I got out of the car, unloaded my stuff and followed my dad to the front door. Even before he rang the doorbell the door swung open. A girl, a few inches shorter than dad, with long brown hair and brown eyes, hugged him. She must be Carly.

Her eyes immediately turned to me.

 “Seb this is Carly; Carly this is Seb.”

“Hi,” I smiled while sticking my hand out hoping that she’ll shake my hand but no! She jumped into my arms for a hug.  I stumbled back before gaining my balance and I hear dad’s chuckle. I couldn’t help but smile.

“Oops, sorry.” Carly said as she lets go of me. “I guess I’m just really excited to have an older brother.”

“Mhhhmm, it’s pretty obvious sweetie.” Dad said winking at her. “Where's mom, Car?”

“Dining room preparing dinner. Kristen’s there too.”

“Get your brother organized, show him his room then you two can follow.” He said before walking away from us. “Oh and Carly, don’t freak him out.”

I grinned when I saw Carly’s reaction to dad’s remark.

“Don’t worry dad, he’ll be fine,” she answered sarcastically while glaring at him as he walk around a corner.