Chapter 30 - Picnic Lunch

I sat up in my room, avoiding the lunch bell that kept ringing in my room. My bed felt comfy as I stared up at the ceiling, but couldn't shake the feeling of how unsafe I really felt. Lucille found me. Lucille found me. Lucille found me. My parents should have been the ones finding her.

But I came back into reality as I heard a knock on the door. I groaned and turned away from it, pretending to be asleep as it opened, and the bed dipped when the figure sat down. "Hey…" I heard Danny's voice, and I stayed still. "I know you're awake." He stated as his arms rubbed my back softly, and then my shoulders. "Please talk to me."

"Go away." I groaned as I flipped onto my stomach.

"Lily." He muttered as he took me in his arms, lifting me up as my head rested against his chest. "Hey, it's lunch. Just come down with me."

"Why should I? Are you going to attack Dillon again?" I shot at him as he helped me stand.

"No, I promise." He told me as he took my hand and led me out of the room, leading me downstairs, but past the dining room.

"Hey, we missed-" I started and cut myself off as we headed to the backdoor, where there was a picnic basket. He took it in his other hand and shoved the door open, ignoring the huge crash it just made. "What are you doing!?"

"What, we can't have lunch out here?" He asked as the door slammed shut, rattling as it clicked closed. "I don't even care what they say anymore. They can't stop us."

"Depends on your crazy plan now." I muttered as he led me to a shady tree on the sand, and he spread the blanket out as wide as it could go.

"Oh, calm down." He assured me as we sat down, and I looked over the ocean, the cool, shimmering ocean that the sun bounced off of. "I thought you'd like the view. Hungry?"

"Yeah." I replied as he handed me a cheese sandwich, and I gladly took it. "You know, I don't think I've ever had lunch out here before." I stated as I took a biting, chewing and swallowing.

"Yeah, the orphanage likes to keep us in. And by orphanage, I mean Ms. Peterson." He replied, and I almost choked on my sandwich laughing.

"Oh yes, it is totally Ms. Peterson's fault." I laughed as I finished my sandwich, lying back and letting my head face the perfect, cloudless blue sky.

"Well, I would say Dillon's, but he just got here." He replied, laughing at his own joke, but I didn't find it funny.

"Danny…" I started, closing my eyes and letting my skin soak in some sun. " I do need to know…" I continued, sitting up and facing him. "Why do you and Dillon keep fighting? I feel like I'm property you both are fighting over."

He finished his sandwich, swallowing what he had left of it. "You're not anyone's property, Lily. Or Aqua. Whichever one you want to go by."

"Lily is fine." I told him, and he nodded. "But you two… I don't know what's going on."

"Nothing's going on." He assured me, extending his arm out for me. "Look, I know he was making you uncomfortable and acting all stalker-ish, so I had to find a reason to stop it." He scooted closer to me, holding my hands in his. "You're my best friend. I have to do those things."

"But I can take care of myself." I protested as I turned my back to him, crossing my arms. "I don't understand why people think I'm so helpless."

"You're not helpless." He assured me as his arms wrapped around me, bringing me into him. "I just can't let anything else happen to you."

"Oh my God, here we go again." I groaned, rubbing my face with my hands. "Nothing is going to happen to me. I'm always okay, I'm always alive."

"But you won't one day." He breathed, making me shudder as he tightened his arms around me, and I laid my head in his lap, and my eyes were staring right into his. "And that's the worst nightmare that any big brother could have." His hand edged to my face, flipping some of my hair to the side of my face. "And also a best friend's."