Chapter 14

Violet POV

I made sure that the prince and royal guard were in the castle before trekking on. There was an aching pain on my elbow, but I didn't care. I needed to get to the walls.

Once there, I stared at the massive thing. It seemed to be 20 feet tall. I walked along the walls a bit when I spotted some vines. I went for them. I was heaving and out of breath by the time I reached the top. I was higher than some of the trees. 'Well here goes nothing. Goodbye castle.' I said then jumped down.

I landed on my feet, but not perfectly. The pain shot through my leg. I checked my elbow to see if the stereotypes were true. They were. My elbow was spotless, left without a bruise. Hopefully, my ankle would heal fast enough for me to walk through the night.

There came some shouting far away from the other side of the wall. Oh no, the guards were getting closer. I needed to get out of here as fast as I could. I didn't know which direction to go, so I headed east where the moon was.

How can I escape without being caught? My foot was not in the best shape, but it'll have to do. I concentrated all my thoughts on vampire speed.

When I opened my eyes, I bolted through the woods. Several hundred yards started to pass, when I finally looked back. I was not even tired or sore. The pain in my ankle had already subsided. I guess being a vampire has its perks. I wore a smug look and continued sprinting. I was far ahead from the guards. They'll have to catch me before I will ever give in.

I braced myself for a stop when I met the brink of a cliff. Violet, you were almost a goner. I slowed down my heartbeat and adrenaline.

There were men on horses charging towards me. Their flashlights shone through the tree stumps. Face them or face the lake at the bottom of this cliff. They came into the clearing and told me to halt. Out of all the eight men, I spotted Asher and Caleb in the middle of the steed.

"Please don't do this, Violet! I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I ripped your life away from you!" Asher shouted. His voice sounded nearly broken. I took a step closer to the cliff. He jumped off his horse. "Please." He repeated and stepped forward. He held his gaze on my every move. His eyes were pleading. I bit my lip and took a small step back.

He couldn't stop me from my freedom. He took my life away. I planned on a future. I had friends and school at home. He will just get in the way of my dreams.

I was dragged back to reality when I sensed him taking another small step towards me. I stepped back again. My jaw was clenched and my stare was hard. Two can play this game, Mr. Sinclair. Only three more steps back then I can be free. I will no longer have to meet with his rich, gorgeous brown eyes. I growled internally and dreaded for the water to splash my face and wake me from the awful dream.

He surprised me by using vampire speed to reach my side and grabbed onto my hand; but he was not fast enough, I had already jumped off the edge.

I braced myself for the impact of the ground beneath the water surface, but the water was deep enough to cushion my fall. I gasped for breath as I resurfaced. Asher was coughing next to me. This loser was supposed to stay up there with his men. Brilliant. How in the hell am I going to escape now?

My plan got flushed down the toilet. His royal pain-in-the-ass dragged himself down here. I was stuck in the pits of hell with him.

I stood at the shore with my arms crossed. We were both drenched and making the ground below us squishy. I was shivering, but I did not care. I only cared for an explanation from the handsome man, whose shirt was skin-tight to his washboard abs. Keep yourself in line, Violet, enough of these distractions.

From the look on his face, he was royally pissed. His jaw was clenched and his fists balled tightly together. He knew that this was his fault, but he stormed off without a single word. Does he even know where he's going?