Chapter 8

Asher POV

 I couldn't help myself but push a tendril of her rich dark hair behind her ear. I kept observing her. Her increased breathing. Her slightly sweaty palms. Then I lifted her chin and forced her to look at me. Was she ashamed to be talking to me? She shouldn't have to be. It seemed to be the wrong question to ask. I internally scolded myself. Everyone seemed to love her and I couldn't wait for Aidan to meet her. "Talk to me, please." I begged. I could not take anymore of this silence.

A teardrop slid slowly down her smooth cheek. Oh no. I made her cry. The pain was heart-wrenching. I did not mean to cause anyone pain. Nobody deserves to be hurt.

Without a second thought, I pulled her in for a hug and gently stroked her back. I felt my shirt dampen a bit. "I'm sorry." Her broken voice sounded muffled. I shook my head. She shouldn't be sorry.

Whatever I did, whatever I said, I will make sure that it will never happen again. Then I realized how fragile she really is. She had this facade on that made her seem strong and independent, when she really needs more love and comforting. I will be that person who will provide her love and comfort. I want her to be happy and not hurt anymore.

"Please, don't apologize. It is not your fault." I whispered back. It was nobody's fault to be going through this. "I will always be here if you need someone to talk to." I added. She nodded and kept on grasping my shirt.

We sat in silence for 10 minutes before I looked down and realized that she was sleeping like a baby. I lifted her small frame up and placed her gently down on the bed. "You're going to be ok." I whispered in her ear before closing the door behind me quietly.

I understood why she needed to cry. She was just attacked and maybe the thought of staying in a castle was too overwhelming, plus I am sure that her family was worried sick. She was probably homesick. Her friends and family. She was surrounded by strangers who tried very hard to make her feel invited and welcomed. Maybe she was overwhelmed by me. Could I have been the reason why she cried?

I know that I asked the question, but I felt like an ass right after doing so. Her pain and sadness enveloped my heart that I naturally trudged to Aidan's room and cuddled next to him. His aura always seemed to take things off my mind anyways.