The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 25]

Start from the beginning

"Emma," she replied. I nearly choked on the air I was breathing. Emma?!

"Uhhh...come in, I guess. He should be out any minute now..." I said, confused and a little angry. Part of me wanted to know what she was doing here. The other part wanted to pound her face in for the way she had broken up with Caleb. The nerve of her. Coming here to his home. I took a few breaths to steady myself.

"I thought you were dating Ian," she asked me bluntly when she sat down.

"I...I am..." I muttered. She knew that Ian and I were dating and yet she had to ask what my name was.

"Then why are you here?" she asked me. I raised an eyebrow at her. Was that jealousy I heard in her voice.

"Caleb's my best friend. I came to hang out with him," I said.

"You should go hang out with your boyfriend. It's not fun being a third wheel," she told me. I had the insane desire to suffocate her with the decorated couch pillows.

"I think you'd be the third wheel in this situation. You two broke up a year ago," I said.

"It hasn't been a year yet. And I'm here to get him back," she told me, inspecting her highly manicured hand.

"Like hell you are," I said. She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Who's going to stop me? You?" she asked.

"Caleb's not dumb enough to go back to you, you little b-" I began, but was interrupted.

"Hey, Ness. My mom told me you were wait-" he stopped, looking between me and Emma. "Emma? What are you doing here?" he asked, thoroughly confused.

"I told you I was coming over, silly," Emma said, batting her eyelashes at him. Caleb blinked.

"I don't think--" Caleb started, but Emma stopped him.

"I wanted to talk to you. Alone," she said, going up to him and running her finger along his chest. I wanted to puke on her. Caleb looked past her at me, an apologetic look on his face. He looked like a helpless puppy with his bright blue eyes and dripping wet hair. Emma looked up and saw him looking at me. She narrowed her eyes at me. "Tell her to leave, Caleb," she demanded. Caleb blinked again, snapping out of it. Now he narrowed his eyes at her. He stepped back away from her.

"Vanessa's not the one that should be leaving," he paused, "You are," he said. Emma opened her mouth slightly in protest and anger. "Don't bother. You know where the door is," he said, putting his hand up and pointing at the door with the other.

"You're going to regret this, Caleb Rhodes!" she threatened.

"Right. I'll be sure to seek help when I do," he said, pushing her towards the door.

"Don't do this to me! We loved each other!" Emma pleaded.

"Loved being the key word here," he said. "I couldn't care less about you now. Get out and good-bye," he finished, closing the door and locking it. He turned around and looked at me. "Well, that takes care of that," he said. I smiled at him, shaking my head.

"What the hell is she doing back?" I asked him as he came over and sat next to me.

"Well she wasn't going to move to France. She came back at the end of the winter holidays last year," he told me.

"And how long has she been coming here?" I asked him.

"Recently, actually. Like a few weeks ago," he said. "I haven't been home. And when I have, I've just ignored her," he told me. "I think, though, now she got the message for good. Hopefully she won't bother me again," he said. I looked at him worriedly. He smiled at me. "Don't worry about me, Ness. I can handle myself," he said.