The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 20]

"Hey! Welcome back, everyone. This is Ryan Secrist and I'm here today with a new band called The Velocity. They're new on the pop-punk scene, following bands like All Time Low, Good Charlotte, and Cobra Starship. They're here with me to give the scoop on who they are and what's going on," Ryan Secrist was saying.

We were in his studio on his radio show. We had flown out from Boise, our previous tour stop, because Ryan had asked us to come on his show. We couldn't pass it up, so we flew out right away. We would have to take a plane to Las Vegas where our next show was.

"So start by introducing yourselves. Who are you, what are your names, where do you come from?" Ryan asked in his perfect radio show voice.

"Hey, everyone, I'm Caleb," Caleb said.

"Ian."

"Camron."

"Liam."

I spun around in the swivel chair, smiling geekily to myself. I pulled the lever and made the chair go down so low that my nose touched the top of the table we were at.

"Vanessa!" Caleb cried.

"What?" I asked, pulling the lever and standing, making the chair go up again.

"Tell them your name!" Ian said.

"Oh! Sorry!" I apologised, pulling the microphone towards me. "Hi everyone! I'm Vanessa," I said in a cheerful voice. Ryan laughed his perfect laugh.

"So tell us a little about yourselves. Where are you from and how did you guys make the band?" he asked.

"Well, we're a Beverly Hills based group. The four of us guys went to high school together. We met Vanessa about a year ago," Ian began explaining.

"A year ago? That doesn't seem like a very long time considering how quickly you guys rose to fame," Ryan interrupted.

"Well, that's actually the thing. We were originally a group of five guys, but our former lead singer left the group to go solo. We had about 4 years of experience and promoting and performing from before we met Vanessa. We were in the process of getting a record deal when our other lead left. So to get one, we needed a lead singer," Caleb explained.

"So we held auditions at a local cafe that attracted lots of performers. Vanessa was the last one to audition and she was amazing," Liam continued.

"Well, Ian didn't think so at first," Cameron said.

"Really? You didn't like Vanessa?" Ryan asked Ian, who was now glaring at Cameron. I shook my head slightly. Cameron did not know the concept of privacy.

"It's not that I didn't like her. She is a great singer and probably was the most talented of all the people we had seen that night," Ian began. I flushed with pride. He had never told that to me before. "I was against her joining the band because she was a girl and an attractive one at that and I didn't want her to be a distraction from us getting a record deal," Ian finished.

"So was she a distraction?" he asked.

"Not really," Caleb replied for Ian.

"The thing that brought us all together was the fact that we all wanted the same thing, but for different reasons. The boys all wanted the deal because they'd been working almost 5 years for it; since their senior year in high school. I wanted it because I was always afraid of performing in front of people and I wanted to get rid of that stage fright. Going big was my way to do that," I explained.

"You had stage fright? You would never have known that by watching you perform," Ryan said.

"Funny story. Our first real big gig was to perform at Paris Hilton's New Year's party," Liam began.