The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 3]

I heard Mae throw up again. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Ugh, I am NEVER drinking again," Mae said, walking out of the bathroom. Her hair was a tangled mess ontop of her head and she had dark circles under her eyes.

"Whatever. You say that every time you get really drunk. But then you do it again eventually," I said. She shot me a glare and climbed back into her bed, pulling the covers over her head. I glanced at the clock. "I have to get to work. I'll see you this evening though," I told her. She let out a muffled response that I couldn't comprehend. I grabbed my bag and walked out.

Work was boring, as usual. It was a busy day because it was Saturday. People were buzzing in and out. Right now it was a little slow because it was between meals. I yawned and tapped at the register, wishing for something interesting to happen.

"Excuse me," I heard. I looked up and my eyes widened. In front of me was the attractive bassist from The Velocity that I had seen on stage the other night.

"Umm, hello. How can I help you?" I asked. The guy had intense, dark brown eyes that matched his dark hair.

"This place attracts lots of musicians, right?" he asked. I nodded.

"Every Friday we have like a performance-" I began, but he cut me off.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Can I put this ad up?" he asked, gesturing towards the papers he held in his hand.

"Umm. I have to ask my boss. Wait one second," I said. I went to the back, looking for Mr. Newton. I wondered what the guy was doing there and what the ad was for.

"Mr. Newton, there's a guy here from a band and he's asking if he can put an ad up on our bulletin board," I told my boss when I found him.

"What kind of ad?" he asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I didn't ask," I replied. He gave me a look.

"Walk. I'm coming," he said, pointing to the door. I walked back out.

"What is the ad for?" I asked the guitarist.

"We're looking for a new lead singer for our group," he answered.

"What? But I saw you perform yesterday and you had-" I began, but he cut me off again.

"Yeah; he dipped last night. He said he was going solo and left. That's why we're looking for a new lead," he explained, looking annoyed at me. Mr. Newton walked out at this point.

"Yes, sir. How can I help you?" he asked the guitarist.

"I was wondering if I could put this ad up. We're looking for a new lead singer," he explained, handing Mr. Newton an ad. I peeked over his shoulder to look at it.

"Oh. Yes, of course," Mr. Newton said, handing it back to him.

"Thanks. And I was also wondering if we could hold the auditions here next Friday," he asked.

"Yeah! That's cool with me," Mr. Newton replied, trying to sound cool. The guy flashed him a smile.

"Thanks. I'll see you next week, then," he told Mr. Newton. And with that, he went over to our bulletin board, pinned the ad on it, and then walked out.

"He was from The Velocity, right? That's a good band right there. They're going to be famous one day," Mr. Newton said. Then he blinked and looked at me. "Well what are you standing there for?! Go wait on some tables!" he barked at me. I jumped and grabbed my pen and notepad.

                                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~