Prologue

*7 years ago*

"Happy 10th birthday Kendall," my face grew hot in embarrassment as my family sang off key. I blew out my candles, wishing for the new doll that had just arrived in stores. I hopped off the stool I had been sitting on and walk over to my dad.

"Is it time for presents yet?" I ask, growing impatient. I had been waiting for far too long. The pile of presents has been calling my name.

"Not yet darling, after cake you can open your gifts. For right now, lets get you a big piece of cake!" My dad hands me a large piece of red velvet cake. I eyes it hungrily and quickly brought it back to the table.

"You know, your 10th birthday is really special,"I turned to my right side, my uncle Zane sat beside me. He actually isn't my uncle. He's my dads best friend, they grew up together.

I quickly swallow the piece of cake I had in my mouth. "Really?" I question. He nods.

"Its very special, especially for people like us."

His words danced around my mind. People like us? What does he mean by that? Before I could think too much about it, my mother walked over.

"K, you ready for presents,"She takes my empty plate and tosses it into the trash. My excitement rose as she mentioned presents.

"Yes," I got up from my seat-not wasting any time- and ran into the living room. The pile of presents stood in front of me. It only took me about five minutes to make it through everything. My wish from earlier had came true. I did get that doll.

"Can I go to bed yet? I'm sleepy,"I rub eyes as I struggle to keep them open.

"No, you will be able to sleep soon."

It was almost midnight. I have never stayed up this late. I was never allowed to. I look around and notice all my family members staring up at the moon. I join them, noticing how shiny and full the moon was tonight.

I was confused on why we were outside at this time. We've never done this at any of my other birthday parties.

I felt my eyes begin to clothes slowly. Sleep was trying to catch me. I was roughly shaken before I could sink in deep.

"You cannot sleep yet, understand." My father said sternly, placing his hands on my shoulders. I nod my head quickly. My  mother comes over and taps my father on his shoulder. He sighs and lets go of me.

"We should go sit with everyone else, my love," she pulls my father away from me. Just then I noticed that my family was surrounding me. They formed a circle around me.

I flick my head around quickly. Their faces held no emotion. Did I do something wrong?

Suddenly my skin felt as if I had leaned against something hot. It started to burn quickly. I tried fanning myself with my hand but it didn't work. I hurt and continue to burn.

Soon aching set in al over my body. I felt like I was being consumed by a fire.

"Dad, please help," I reach my hand out to him but he doesn't grab it. I let out a harsh scream as a sharp pain strikes through my body. The people around me started to whisper and mumble things to each other.

I fell to my knees and dig my nails in the dirt. My ears filled with the sound of painful cracking. It was my bones. One by one they were cracking.

"Dad! Mom! Help, it hurts!" I cry. I watch as my mother turns her face down. Why didn't she help me?

Suddenly the pain got to much and I felt myself losing control of my actions. I felt as if someone was taking over me. That's when I heard it.

'Let me take control, Kendall.'

For some reason I listened to the high pitched voice in my head. The pain was gone and so was my control.

"Oh my god," mother shrieks. I cringe as the loud sound passes through my ears.

"That's impossible." My dad whispers. He looked as if he was disappointed.

"It's obviously possible. Look at her Drake. She's proof. My baby is a grey wolf"

I follow his gaze and look down at myself. Paws. Grey paws. That was the first time I ever heard of werewolf's. That wa when I found out what my family truly was.

I had changed back and was brought in to laying in my bed. My parents sat on the couch in the corner. At first they were whispering. I knew they didn't want me to hear anything. I didn't want them to know I was awake so I just keep my eyes closed and pretend to be asleep. I slowed down my heart rate and steadied my breathing.

"This can't be happening. The last grey wolf like that passed." My father sounds terrified.

"It will be fine Drake." My mother tried to comfort him. Her voice sounded strained.

"Teresa, did you not see the fire in her eyes," fire? "She has the gift. They will come for her."

Two years has passed since then. My father was right. They did come for me. I never knew who they were and why they wanted me.

"Kendall! Where are you," I hear my mothers sweet voice in the distance. I follow the sound of her voice until I see her.

"Mom! "I scream and run towards her. She embraces me as soon as I reach her.

I tried to speak to her but my voice came out shaky. "The -pack." My mother shushed me and told me everything was going to be alright.

Suddenly I heard a cracking noise come from the pack house. My wolf and I felt a wave of dread pass through us. Something was wrong. I pulled myself out of my mothers arms and run towards the pack house.

"Kendall no!"

I ignored any calls or protests from my mother. I shouldn't have ignored them. Maybe I wouldn't have been filled with the dread that would haunt me for the next couple of years.

I stood in the living room and watch as an alpha held my father up by his neck. Just like that, he snapped it. I stood there frozen as my father falls to the ground. Not moving, not breathing.

At 12 years old, I watched them kill my father.

————————————————————Updated: 4/5/18