Burnt Cookies

Elsa hesitantly tapped the white C key on the piano. "Don't let—" Her voice hummed with the piano. She pressed E. "—them see." She bit her lip and tried again. "Don't let them see." She pressed C twice and then f twice. She nodded, satisfied with the notes. Elsa started the song over. She hummed along to the first part and began to sing.

"The snow glows white on the moun-tain tonight. Not a foot print to be seen... A king-dom of i-so-la-tion and it looks like, I'm the queen. The wind is howling like this swirling storm in-side. Couldn't keep it in. Heaven knows I tried... Don't let them in don't them see. Be the good girl you always have to be! Conceal, don't feel. Don't let them knoowww!"

Elsa heard applause behind her. She stood up, startled, and tripped over the piano bench. She heard footsteps and looked up into breath-taking azure eyes as Jack helped her to her feet.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

Elsa blushed. "Y-you were listening?" she squeaked.

He smiled. "Do you have to be perfect at everything? You're singing was beautiful."

The heat on her cheeks grew as she ducked her head. "Th-thanks. I've never sang or played in front of anyone before."

"Really? Honestly, you were amazing. You should sing more often."

Elsa smiled with pleasure. "Thanks," she whispered.

"So, how's the little fur-ball?"

"Fur-ball? Oh, she's fine. Would you like to see her?"

"Sure."

Elsa raced upstairs, Jack close behind. She went into her room and took the kitten out of its cardboard box. It blinked its wide blue eyes sleepily before letting out a squeaky, "Mew." Elsa smiled and sat on her bed, setting the kitten on her lap. The little, fluffy kitten rolled over to its back and began swatting Elsa's finger with its tiny paws, it's eye wide and bright with child-like awe. Elsa giggled as the kitten licked her finger with its rough, itty-bity tongue.

"Oh, you're so cute," Elsa cooed.

She picked the kitten up and showered its tiny, angelic face with kisses. Jack felt another bitter twinge of jealousy. He knew Elsa needed someone to love and cuddle, he just wished it were him instead of the kitten.

"Want to hold her?"

"Uh, sure." Elsa dumped the writhing mass of fluffiness into his hands. "So, what's her name?"

"Her name?" Elsa cheeks turned pink.

Jack frowned, wondering why she was blushing. "Yes, her name," he repeated.

"I... haven't decided yet," Elsa lied.

"Oh. What about cotton?"

"Cotton?" she giggled. "That doesn't sound like a good girl name?"

"How about snow-flake?"

"That's already the name of my stuffed tiger."

Jack playfully huffed. "You're making my job difficult, Elsa."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause trouble." She smiled.

Jack leaned towards her. "That's all you are. Trouble." His eyes twinkled.