Going to the Movies

Elsa gazed at the flash card, trying to remember the fourth principal part in Latin. She groaned. Verbs were waaayyy harder than nouns. Elsa bit her lip and trained her gaze on the white flash card, hoping the answer would magically appear. She let an irritated sigh loose and flipped the card over, revealing the answer. Perfect participle passive. She sighed and rested her forehead on the card, trying to burn the answer into her stubborn mind.

"Elsa!" Mrs. Bennett called in a sing-song voice.

"Yes, ma'm?!" Elsa yelled, her voice slightly muffled against the desk.

"Jack wants to call you. He's on the phone!"

Elsa gasped and stood up so suddenly, she knocked the chair over. She shoved her door open and ran down the stairs, using the handrail to skip three steps at a time. She snatched the phone out of Mrs. Bennett's hand.

"Hello?" she asked breathlessly.

"Elsa? It's Jack."

"Oh... Hi, Jack," she said, still panting.

"So, did were you in the middle of something, because if you were I can—"

"Oh, no. Just verb conjugations and such. Nothing really important though."

"Oh, great! So, I was wondering..." Jack's voice trailed off; he sounded hesitant.

"Yes?"

"Ifyoucouldgotothemovieswithme."

Elsa frowned. "What?"

Jack inhaled. "Well, I don't have football practice tonight and tomorrow's Saturday, so I was just wondering if you'd like to—"

Elsa sighed. "Jack, out with it."

"Do you want to go to the movies with me?" He squeaked out the last part.

"I don't see why not."

"AWESOME! I mean—" He cleared his throat. "—cool; that's cool."

Elsa held in a snicker. "What time?"

"Is... seven okay with you?"

"Sure."

"And it's, um, just going to be the dollar theater. Nothing fancy. D-do you mind?"

She smiled. "Not at all. We usually go to the dollar theater anyway."

"Well, I guess I'll see you soon."

"Yep. See ya later."

"Bye."

"Bye, Jack."

Neither of them hung up.

"You still there, Jack?"

"Yeah, I thought you were going to hang up first."

"Oh..."

"So..."

"You can go ahead and hang up, you know."

"Oh, yeah. So, umm, bye."

Elsa laughed. "Good-bye, Jack." She pressed the 'end call' button on the home phone.