Chocolate Cravings

Elsa pounded on the alarm clock. It silenced immediately. Apparently, it had learned its lesson. Elsa let out a low groan. It was Monday. She sat up, knowing that if she dared to lie down, she'd be late for school. She stripped the blanket and pillows off of her bed. Elsa tucked the sheets underneath her mattress until they were smooth. No wrinkles to be seen. She carefully draped her thick blanket across the bed, tugging and making small adjustments until it was just right. Elsa hastily selected her favorite pair of blue jeans. She hesitated when deciding on a shirt, finally selecting a white blouse and black cardigan. Elsa twirled her hair into a bun and walked into the bathroom. Anna and Jessica were helping each other apply make-up. Elsa spotted a hair straightener on the counter, apparently heating up.

                "Hey, Elsa! Anna and I wanted to curl our hair today. Yours would look pretty curled."

                Elsa offered Jessica a smile, sighing inwardly. Jessica was obviously perplexed at Elsa's usual aloof and cold behavior. She probably thought I'd warm up in my own environment. Elsa didn't have a legitimate explanation, at least one that she could give her. No one could ever know. On occasion, she considered telling Anna, but Anna had enough on her platter as it was. Between them switching foster families all the time and Anna's hectic social life, Elsa couldn't add another burden to her. Especially after their parents death.

                "I'll pass Jessica. Thank you."

Elsa offered another smile, wishing she could project warmth like Anna did. At least Anna wouldn't be alone now. There was another girl who could relate to Anna's social disasters and triumphs. Elsa felt truly happy for her, but regretted she couldn't be the sister Anna needed. She felt so alone sometimes. As sadness and despair wrapped around Elsa, threatening to choke her, her hands grew cold. Elsa brushed her teeth hastily and quickly left the bathroom. The previous conversation that Elsa had interrupted continued. Occasionally, laughter rang through the air. Someone brushed by her on the way downstairs.

"Good morning, Jamie."

Jamie grumbled something indiscernible in response. Elsa sighed. Now, if there were only someone for Jamie. Jan didn't talk to anyone, save her mom and Jessica. She made a special effort to avoid Jamie and Mr. Bennett. Elsa honestly couldn't blame her. She'd had so many bad experiences, yet she was so young. Elsa picked up a crisp piece of toast, a warm golden-brown. She took a slab of yellow butter and began to slather it onto the toast. She mingled the melting butter with cool blackberry jam. Elsa took a bite. Ms. Marie—Jessica's mom—was scrambling eggs. Ms. Marie was a diligent worker. She wouldn't stay under the Bennett's roof unless the allowed her to pay for her keep. She was kind of an impromptu house keeper. Elsa took a small portion of eggs and ran back upstairs, snatching her backpack.

                Today had been significantly less miserable for Elsa. Jessica was courteous to Elsa, leaving a bewildered clique of former friends in her wake. Elsa smiled when she thought of Jack. He'd been particularly outgoing. And sweet. She actually found herself enjoying the classes they shared. Elsa was humming a pretty tune she'd made up on the piano.

                "Elsa!"

                Elsa whirled around, spotting Jack. He was smiling broadly, making her heart stop a moment before speeding up. He ran up to her and placed his hands on her hips. She nearly jumped back. She hadn't been expecting him to do that. He lifted her up and spun her around in the air. A bubble of laughter escaped Elsa, though she tried to suppress it. Elsa chastised herself, but couldn't stop giggling. She really shouldn't encourage such behavior. She was still smiling, her laughter subsiding, when he set her down gently, as if she were made of the finest china. A blush tinged her cheeks a becoming shade of rose.