Letter #9: Open When...You're Worried

Hiiii! Just letting you guys know that there won't be another update until October 23rd :( I'm going to be out of town for most of next week and my midterms are the week after that so I have to majorly study. I might put up half of the chapter or maybe a bonus chapter to tide you guys over lol. Xoxo

Song: When I Get Where I'm Going by Brad Paisley & Dolly Parton {Yeah when I get where I'm going / Don't cry for me down here}
------
December 29th, 2013 (11 weeks, 6 days)

As soon as I walk out the front doors of the hospital, I'm met by my three beautiful kids. Callie and Andrew wave at me from inside their car, but I don't have much time to react because Aubree is running toward me. "Mommy!" she yells, a big grin on her face.

I bend over just in time to pick her up. "Hey there, baby girl. Are you excited to see Daddy?" She nods enthusiastically and I laugh. It always brightens my day to see my kids, but seeing them with Paul given the current situation makes everything ten times better.

Meadow walks over to us, carrying Luke in his car seat. She gives me a small hug. "How's Dad doing today?"

"He's doing really good. We've already walked a little bit today. He's resting right now and waiting for you and your siblings." I smile at her as we walk inside of the hospital.

I don't know what it is, but today has such a positive vibe to it. Even though it's only been five days since Paul has woken up, he is getting better and better with each passing day. He's so excited at the possibility that he may be getting to go home soon, and I'm just as excited for him. I long for the nights that I get to lay next to my husband and sleep in his arms. The fact that those nights could be coming soon makes me want to jump for joy. Of course, there's still the physical therapy for him to get back into the swing of things, but Paul is excelling at everything the nurses want him to do.

During the short walk to Paul's room, Aubree tells me about how she has made the house into her own castle. It makes me laugh when she goes into detail, saying that she has made everyone her servants in her kingdom. My daughter has such a wild imagination. Paul may not be happy to hear about this, because I know that he's still holding out hope to get her into cars. With this news, however, that may be a long shot.

When we step into his room, my heart squeezes in my chest when I see Paul's face light up. Aubree immediately starts reaching for him, and I sit her in Paul's lap. "Aubree, be careful with Daddy, okay?" I tell her, but it's useless. She has her small arms wrapped around his neck. It worries me a little with all of the wires that are still connected to him, but those worries are alleviated when my husband grins at me.

"Daddy, when are you coming up?" Aubree asks him, pulling away from the hug.

Paul looks between Meadow and I, unsure of what to say to her. We've all missed him being at home. It's just not the same without him there, and I know that Aubree can sense the difference. She may not be old enough to fully realize what is going on, but she can tell that things aren't the same since before the accident. "Well, sweetheart, I hope to come home soon. I will as soon as the doctors tell me that I'm okay."

Aubree frowns and her eyes water a little. "Are you okay, Daddy?" She loves him so much, and it tears me to pieces to see this taking place.

He kisses her forehead softly. "Yeah, I'm okay. When I get home, we will ride around your castle in your pink Barbie jeep that Uncle Ty got for you. Does that sound good?"

Before Aubree can say anything, Meadow inserts herself into the conversation. "What about me? Am I going to get a car anytime soon?"

Paul chuckles and says, "Mead, you're not sixteen, and you don't have your permit yet."