Letter #2: Open When...Something Has Happened

A/N: Video on the side of Tyrese talking about how him and Paul became brothers :) still need tissues for this one!

December 3rd, 2013 (8 weeks, 1 day)

It has been three days since the accident. Three days since I talked to my husband. Three days since everything in my life made sense and everything was going good. But now, the future is so unclear and the fact of that scares me senseless. In these seventy-two hours I have struggled to function. Of course, I can dress myself and all of that, but I often forget to eat. It's only when my stomach grumbles or Callie puts food in front of me that I actually do eat.

I know that she's very concerned about my well being, and the baby's well being too. I'll admit that I should be doing more things than I am now, but all I can focus on is Paul. None of this will matter unless he opens them ocean blue eyes and comes back to me. It will rip me apart if we never get to fix what happened between us. I do not want our love to end because of a fight.

Visiting hours start in about ten minutes, so I walk to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. I told Meadow that she didn't have to go to school this week, and all she responded with was a nod. She's on the same emotional level as me. When I left the house this morning, she was content with staying in bed. I told Callie to keep an eye on her.

I grab a muffin and a bottle of water, and go to pay for it. The lady smiles at me and I give her a weak smile. All of my energy has left me, despite my decent amount of sleep last night. Emotionally I am drained, and it's going to take a lot more than sleep to rejuvenate me.

There are several people in the cafeteria eating breakfast, so I choose a spot away from everyone else. I sit down and begin nibbling on my muffin, then check my phone to see if anyone has texted me for an update. Before I left the hospital last night, I gave the nurses my phone number and told them to call me if there were any updates on my husband. I never gotten any calls, so I suppose there's nothing new to tell the people who has texted.

My mind drifts off to the letters I found two days ago. I'm apprehensive to go through them. What if they are all I have left of him? What if they are the last words that I will read of his? The thought of that is almost too much to bear. However, his words may be soothing in this time. He always knows the right things to say, so I'm sure that there is a letter for a situation like this.

Pulling the box out of my purse, I anxiously open it, hoping that there is something I can read. There must be at least thirty letters in this box, so there should be a letter. One thing is for sure, I definitely want to follow Paul's rule and read the letters only when they apply.

After looking through the first couple of letters, I find one titled "Open When...Something has Happened". Well, that's the understatement of the century. The letter doesn't say specifically about something happening, but I'm sure it will work. I tear open the flap, hoping to find solace in the words on the pages.

However, as I read the first line, my phone starts to ring. "Damn it," I mumble, putting the letter down and grabbing my phone. The letter will have to wait until later. Knowing how the nurses are in and out of Paul's room, I probably won't have any private time to read until I get home. I look at the caller ID and see that it's Vin. "Hey," I answer, not totally looking forward to the conversation. Nobody knows what to say to me and it always makes for an awkward conversation. I don't hold it against anyone, though.

"Hey, Sierra. I was calling to see if there is any updates on Pablo." His voice cracks at the end, taking me by surprise. The sound of Vin's voice gives off the impression that he is so strong. While that may be true externally, the inside of him is what is so different. He truly cares for my husband and I could see it in his eyes when he visited that he hurts when his brother is hurt.