Kashara

Kashara and Mariset neared the side avenue of the Institution. The pristine walls of the Institution gleamed white on to their tunics as they treaded carefully in the rubbish covered alley. The Institution was coveted Jewel of the Empire of Erth, a magical place filled with dangerous nobles and mages who trained and studied there.
Like all Empire buildings in Erth, the Institution was out of bounds to every citizen who was not a noble or mage or wizard. Though it was more of a palace, the Erth Nation held disdain for signs of monarchy and called it the Institution. It blustered that it was a 'democracy' when it was actually the extreme opposite.

Lord Protector. The sole man who controlled the entire monarchy and maintained that he was a elected leader of sorts. Cruel and unforgiving, he had been an military general of some sort nearly five decades ago. Yet none of the populace could barely remember this fact. To them, Lord Protector had been their leader since forever.

There was fear,yes- especially in the lower partitions of the kingdom of the cold and dangerous Protector. Even though he painted himself as a just, amiable and sacrificial leader. The upper echelons had the money to protect themselves. The lower class only had fear and caution to save themselves from the Protector's cruel rule.

"Are you sure you can get in? We don't need to go to the market now. We could wait until your brother comes home before we get Danrs?" Mariset asked her friend anxiously.

"Of course! I have done this before! Relax Mari, I can easily sneak in and get Silver Danrs!"

Mariset still looked frightened but allowed her friend to steal into the Institution through the high walls that surrounded it.

Once Kashara cleared the compound she took off, running through the buildings. Just as she neared the court house where her brother worked, Kashara heard a voice behind her.

"Kashara! Stop running immediately!" the mother healer called out sternly. Kashara skidded to a halt infront of the Great Doors, preventing herself from crashing into the revered gateways to the court house only by a mere inch.

Mother Healer Syphill was a teacher of sorts for the magelings but acted more like a matron - a strict matron. she was well acquainted with Kashara's rule breaking antics. She marched towards the seemingly meek girl in dingy robes and scuffed sandals.

The girl who had nearly managed to accomplish the second worst crime in the whole of Earth-interrupting the court proceedings, a crime punishable by mage torture.

"Kashara you know you are not allowed into the mage institution! Having a brother who is the scribe of the first minister does not gurantee you access to such sacred places tread by mages and nobility! Can you fly in the air? Tell me?" Syphill demanded aggressively.

"No.." Kashara replied her eyes downcast. No one in the population of Erth liked to be reminded they were not a powerful mage.

"Then can you cast charms or spells to change objects?"

"no.."

"Do you even have the pathetic ability to mix together magical ingredients to produce a potion?"

"no.." Kashara's voice was down to a whisper. The insults stung her deep down penetrating the shell she had built up around her envy of the young magelings and wizards going to the Institution, learning about magic and playing with spells in the public pavillion.

She had longed desperately every second of her life that she could don the rich burgundy silk uniform, sweep her abundant black hair into pleats with silver ribbons, adorn her sharp pixie face with the swirling jewel tattoos that distinguished mages and step across the silver gate of the Institution.

However Kashara knew she was not gifted or special. It had been a letdown actually during the divining ceremony when she was eight years old. She had been quite sure she was gifted. All this old hurt and memory was currently bubbling up to the surface through Syphill's words.

Just then steps echoed on the other side of the door. The court was dismissed, and heading directly towards them. Syphill and Kashara scampered out of the way of the golden doors as they glided open. The court began to empty out of the house slowly mumbling to themselves no doubt about the delicious cakes served during high tea or the bland muffins that were given out as the court commenced.

Amidst the crowd, a tall thin man who shared Kashara's wavy hair and sharp features turned to look at the two lone observers. His face paled as he noticed Kashara and he hurried towards her nudging aside several distinguished members of court. Slowly the pair -Syphill and Kashara- began gathering an audience as lords and nobles turned to look at the scribe.

"What are you doing here Kashara? " Darus hissed softly.

Before Kashara could answer him a cold voice interrupted her.

"What is going on here?"the Lord Protector demanded.

Kashara gulped. She was no mage seer but even she could forsee that was she in deep trouble now.