Chapter Fifty Nine

59

Tuesday Louis went back to the university like nothing happened the previous day. He did his duties and his work. He left early in the morning, leaving the same time as I did. That way, I had to take the kids for breakfast before dropping them off at school. I also went to work that day like nothing happened. Milly on the other hand seemed jumpy and the smallest problem made her snap at whoever's near by.

Wednesday we didn't go to work. Well, we had a day off. We went to Doncaster for Louis' brother and sister's birthday. That day, he also told his mum that he's leaving his job. Jay was very understanding towards the entire situation and gave him her full support. He told my mum the news as well and to my surprise, she went rambling on how irresponsible that is. Mum and I had a fight that day and it was abruptly ended when I got pissed too pissed off and we left.

Today is Thursday. Word has gone out to scouts that Louis' leaving QIU and he's already been getting offers for jobs in other universities, even universities and prestigious schools we didn't know existed. Also, today is the day Louis plans to tell the kids about him leaving his job. We've told our friends and our family but the kids. We thought they'd be the last to know because it will be more difficult for us to explain to them what's going on.

"There's probably something going on since we're all sat on the couch, yeah?" Louise asks me as we wait for Louis go arrive from work.

"Yeah, what is going on?" Blaine asks me. After he said that, 3 pairs of eyes turned to me.

"Look," I try to say as patiently as I can. Even I'm getting a bit jumpy as we've been waiting for Louis for an hour already. "Your dad wants to tell you something and it's only fair if it truly came for him. Anyway, he'll be here in a while." I tell them.

LOUIS' POV

I glance at the clock and it says 4:00. Finally, this is the hour I've been waiting for. I pick up my bag and my keys on my desk before heading out the staff room.

As I walk out of the room, I bump into Catherine. She smiles at me nervously and holds her folder to her chest. We haven't really spoken at all this week and if we do, it's strictly for work.

"I've got your papers photocopied." She says and hands me my resignation papers. I take it from her quickly and put it in my bag. "So there's no chance of talking you out of leaving?" She asks, her voice shaking.

"No," I say firmly. "I've made up my mind." I tell her.

She nods then falls silent. Although her eyes didn't stay still, actually. It looks as if she's assessing my face and reading my expression. I'm not sure what she's doing exactly but it's strange.

"I'll see you tomorr-"

"About last Friday." She cuts me off abruptly but I can tell she's nervous. "You... Really don't remember what you said?" She asks me, she looks worried as well.

With no hesitation, I shake my head. I can't help but feel slightly furious that she brought it up again. "But I'm sure you know what I said that night, I bet." I tell her.

Her eyes widen and her cheeks went bright red. She shakes her head but the blush on her face says otherwise. "So you don't remember what I said as well, then?" She asks. Again, I shake my head with no hesitation.

"If that's all, I'd better get going." I say, walking past her and straight down the hall. I push the door open and I was finally out of there.

A few students say hi as I head to my car. Most of them are from the team or have come up to me and told me they'd be joining the team next year. Unfortunately, I won't be here next year or next week even. None of the guys from the team know I'm leaving. I'll be announcing that tomorrow morning after practice  and I'm praying to God Jerry gets his blabbering mouth under control until tomorrow.