Chapter 14: Lordy Jesus

I woke up bright and early. We were going to church because I was tired of hearing my grandmother's mouth.

''Loki,'' I said as I shook him.

''What, baby?,'' he asked, groggily.

''We have to go to church today,'' I said.

''I'm injured. I can't go,'' he said.

''Well the lord will fix you, now get your ass up,'' I said. I walked out the room and went to go wake up the kids.

''Lola, sweetheart. Wake up,'' I said.

''Why mommy,'' she asked as she furrowed her eyebrows.

''Were going to church today,'' I said.

''I tired,'' she said complaining.

''Well get untired. I'll be coming back to give you a bath,'' I said. I left out her room and went into the boys' room.

''Rise and shine, munchkins. It's time to get up!'' I said. They threw their pillows at me.

''Hey! Don't do that I'm with child. Now get up, all of you better be awake by time I'm done giving Lola a bath,'' I said. They groaned and I went back upstairs to make sure Loki was up.

Surprise, surprise, he was still asleep.

''Loki,'' I said.

''Gwen,'' he said mimicking me.

''Get up and get dressed,'' I said.

''Babe I'm not going. These pain pills have me drowsy and I'm tired as fuck,'' he said.

''Fine then,'' I said. I went back into Lola's room and she was awake. I picked her up and ran her bath. I made sure it was warm and I undressed her before putting her in the tub. After I was done, I dressed her up in a pale pink dress, that had a ribbon belt going around the waist part and it tied into a bow in the back. After that I grabbed two pieces of her hair and twirled it to the back, putting a little bow clip in the back to hold it. Then she brushed her teeth and put on her shoes. I tried to wake up the boys but it was useless. I just told Lola to go back into her room and watch TV while I got ready. I showered and put on a flowy pale pink dress and some nude tannish gladiator sandals. I twisted two pieces of my hair back and used bobby pins to keep it in place. I brushed my teeth and sprayed on a little perfume. After that I put on some deodorant and grabbed my car keys.

''C'mon Lola,'' I said. I picked her up and headed out the door.

''Breakfast mama,'' Lola said as I put her in her car seat.

''I know baby, we'll stop somewhere,'' I said. I got in the car and drove down the road. There was this little diner. We went in and sat down. Lola looked at the menu.

''Can I get some mini cinnamon rolls and orange juice?'', she asked.

''Sure Lola, I'll get the same,'' I said. The waitress came and we told her our orders. The food came really fast and we dug in.

''That was good, mama,'' Lola said as we walked out the diner.

''I know,'' I said. I put her in her car seat and got in the drivers seat.

''Now we are off to church,'' I said. As soon as we arrived at church I heard the drums and people singing, sounding like they were about to croak over and die. Now I remember why I didn't like going to church anymore. Despite that I grabbed Lola's hand and walked in, taking a seat next to my grandma.

''Where's the other kids and Loki?'', she asked.

''They wouldn't wake up,'' I said.

''Hmm well I'll have to have a word with them,'' she said. The singing finally halted and the pastor came up.