Christmas dinner

Emily slowly sunk into the freshly drawn bubble bath, Irene was fast asleep and the team had kept her in the loop about Penelope's shooting. Insisting on coming in both Hotch and Morgan shut her down and didn't let her anywhere near the BAU building,. Just as she sunk into the heated water Irene let out a scream looking for her mommy. "Are you kidding me!" Emily groaned stepping out of the tub before grabbing her robe and rushing into her daughters room.

...........................

Before she knew it the Christmas holidays rolled around and Emily was wondering the mall with Irene looking for Christmas presents. First she found her way into a clothing store to buy JJ a scarf, then moved on to the electronic store and so on found gifts for the team. They had been nothing but supportive and she wanted to show her appreciation. Garcia offered a pre Christmas potluck party for the team, where they would have a meal and exchange gifts.

.....................

The morning of their Christmas party Emily was rushing around her apartment looking for everything she could possibly need for Irene while they were at Garcia's. The new mother threw the baby bag over her shoulder and reached down for the baby carrier when she spotted a red rash growing up Irene's face. "What have you got there sweetie?" Emily asked her daughter before reaching into the bag and pulling out some diaper cream and dabbing it on the skin.

Once they reached Garcia's apartment Emily was still very concerned, but she knew it was common... Entering the apartment she was greeted by everyone and Irene was quickly whisked away by the tech analysts. "Don't worry Emily the strange, auntie Penelope will watch the tiny tottle while you drink the red wine in the kitchen."

Prentiss entered the kitchen and poured herself a large helping on the wine but the glass just sat on the table. The new mother couldn't convince herself to drink it, even though she was not breast feeding it still felt wrong.

"Is everything okay?" Hotch spoke into the kitchen making her jump.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you come in... Yeah I'm fine just tired..."

"Emily-"

"She has a rash! Growing up her neck, I know it's normal but I can't help but worry-"

Hotch chuckled as Emily panicked. "It's probably just eczema. It's totally normal in babies, it should only last for a few more months maybe a year. It can last longer but you'll know by then what soaps and creams help." The raven haired girl just nodded her head as she bit her lip. "It's called being a parent Emily, this is all entirely normal."

"I've never had a maternal bone in my body, now everything I do needs to revolve around Irene. I'm freaking out about drinking a glass of wine."

Hotch reached around Emily to pick up the glass, "common." He gestured to the living room before walking out. Emily followed close behind then sat on the couch next to Morgan and took the glass from her boss. Her eyes scanned the room to find JJ now cooing over Irene as she stood next to Reid trying to convince him to hold the baby. Emily leaned against the couch and took a sip.

..........................................

The team was sitting around the table and enjoying their meal, Irene was sound asleep in the other room so the noise of dinner didn't wake her. About thirty minutes into the meal Emily excused herself to go feed the baby. Walking over to the carrier Emily lifted the baby and pulled the bottle out of the bag. But Irene didn't wake up, she didn't even stir. "Hey Irene it's dinner time," the mother prompted but still nothing, "Irene," she tried again slightly more forcefully. Looking down to examine her daughter Emily noticed her lips were the softest shade of blue. "Oh my god!" She screamed out as she lay Irene on the floor. "Call 911!"

The team dropped everything and ran into the living room. "What's wrong?" Morgan asked phone in hand.

"She's not breathing! Her lips are blue!" Prentiss explained in hysterics as she looked at her child.

Morgan handed the phone over to Garcia to call an ambulance while he knelt next to Irene, he bright his ear over the baby's mouth. "She's whistling-" he said sitting up to face Emily.

"She's not whistling she wheezing!" Hotch explained before ordering Garcia to tell that the paramedics.

...........................................

They all sat at the hospital waiting patiently for the doctor to make his appearance. Emily was clinging onto JJs arm crying while everyone watched sorrowfully.

"Prentiss?" The doctor called into the waiting room making everyone stand up. He was surprised by the number of people waiting for the baby and made his way over. "Which is her mother or father?"

"I'm her mom." Emily spoke stepping forward. "How is she?"

"Irene has a chronic inflammatory disease of the airway. Normally we catch it very early on, normally before they even leave the hospital but it appears Irene was able to hold out on us. It is commonly caused by allergies like dust, dust mites, pollen, change of season, or even cold air." The doctor watched her fearful expression cross Emily's face. "Irene can live a full and happy life with Asthma as long as she takes her medication. I suggest cleaning your home on an almost daily basis and changing to hypoallergenic products like pillows and sheets. And when you leave the nurse will have your prescription for you."

Emily thanked the doctor before rushing into the ER to find her baby sleeping peacefully in a hospital crib. "Don't you ever do that to me again Irene Marie." She laughed through her tears before picking up her daughter.