Forget Me Not (Six)

Chapter Six: Looking For A Savior

“Who knew you could look like a runway model?”

Justine had ditched the wire-thin rimmed glasses, and had somehow brought designer glasses with purple and black stylish rims. Not only that, but she’d attempted a little makeup and straightened her normally bushy brown hair. And then came her clothes. She was wearing a loose silk button-up shirt and cute denim shorts with brown ankle-boots. So much different to her usual old-jeans-and-cotton-blouse look.

“I could ask you the same thing,” she replies, “I knew you were pretty, but I didn’t know you had it in you to go that far.”

I, on the other hand, had done some rummaging to find the sexiest thing I could find in my closet. It was one thing that I’d snuck to buy when I’d previously gone shopping with Aunt Catherine. A violet Marc Jacobs Duchesse satin dress with a zip-embellished front was the most stylish and sophisticated thing I could go for. Black heels and sheer black tights topped off the look along with my sunshine-orange clutch.

“Well, neither of us look like the true nerds we are anymore,” I joke, walking quickly to the passenger side of the car, “so let’s go party.”

She doesn’t reply, but simply gets in as well and starts the car, pulling out of the curb.

“So what made you change your mind?” she asks after a long moment.

“About what?”

“Well, last time I heard, you weren’t too keen on partying.”

I shrug, like as though it’s nothing. “Oh, I just had a change of heart, and decided a party was exactly what I needed.” Secretly, I was hoping Doctor Brown would stick by his promise.

She nods, and then almost looks as though she’s about to blush. “Thanks for coming with me as well.”

“No problem,” I say flippantly. “So, you know how to get to this place?”

She nods again. “Yeah…well, I’ve been there before, so…”

I frown at her. “What did you guys used to be friends or something?”

She shrugs.  “I guess you could say that.”

“Well, what happened?”

She looks thoughtful for a moment, “Well, Nicole and I used to be close in primary, but when we changed to high school, Kristen moved in on us, and then Nicole just…dropped me. Then she started dying her hair and paying attention to all those false beauty things…y’know, all that “beauty is perfection” bullcrap.” She pauses. “Kristen was born into that sort of stuff, so she was always looking for minions and all that. I guess Nicole wanted popularity over true friendship.”

I look skeptical. “So, what? They’re not like friends or anything?” Queen Bee dramas are always good enough to be on a soap opera.

“No. Well, I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure if Kristen knew about Nicole’s condition she’d ditch her in a second.”

“Condition?”

She has the courtesy to actually look shameful. “I shouldn’t have said anything…” she whispers.

“Oh, come on! Who am I going to tell? And besides, I thought you two weren’t friends anymore?”

“We’re not.”

“Then why are you defending her?”

“Alright, but you have to promise not to tell anyone.”