Chapter Twenty Seven

Matthew

My world suddenly flips upside down as I find myself flying backwards. Amidst the excitement, the Kolossus had stomped its enormous, scaly feet, sending Willis and I soaring towards the surrounding crowd of beasts. The deafening noise grows silent in the blink of an eye, and the creatures turn to stare at us murderously. Holding a breath, I stand up and brush the dirt off of me, daring a glance up at the Master. He stares at me intently, and I start to feel the freezing fear again. My body goes rigid, as if I've gone into a coma. I feel two beefy, rough hands grab my wrists and yank my arms behind my back: Willis. I'm too terrified to cry out; I can only swallow desperately.

"Well, well, well... We meet again, Mr. Elliot. And Hugh." The Master turns his fiery gaze upon Willis, his eyes narrowing meanly. In that small moment, all feeling rushes back to me unbearably, and I almost topple over.

The paralysis occurs when it looks me in the eyes!

Instantly, I close them.

"Y-yes, Master. Pleasure seeing you here. Actually, it's very qu-qu-quite lucky," Willis stammers. I can feel his hands sweating as he twists my arms behind me even tighter. I hiss air into my teeth. "I caught this rebel sneaking about. Just in time, too." My breaths come out raggedly in anger, and I struggle against Willis. His grip doesn't lessen in the slightest. What a coward! But then I feel my anger melt into fear: fear for myself, fear for what this could mean for Enna and her mother.

"Oh, really?" The Master drawls. I hear several growls and sneers from the surrounding monsters. "I find it hard to believe that Elliot would betray his father."

"Yeah, well..." Willis trails off. "He did."

"I see. And I assume that you received permission to be wandering about down here in the first place?" I can almost feel the blood draining from Willis's face.

"You see, Master, I--"

"Open your eyes, boy!" The Master shouts suddenly. With a rush of panic, I realize that he must have notice me squeezing my eyes shut. I shake my head vigorously, and he lets out a harsh laugh. "Like I said, humans are such cowards." The Master directs his next command towards Willis. "I want to see you both in the labs. Now."

"Of course, Master."

"I want Mr. Elliot handcuffed."

"Yes, Master."

"Leave my presence." Tripping over himself, Willis drags me through the crowd of creatures and down several hallways, leading to the elevator. I cry out in pain as I feel my shoulders being pulled dangerously away from their sockets. The elevator door opens with a swoosh and I'm forced into it. We are alone.

"You are a coward, Willis," I mutter, fuming. My throbbing heart threatens to break through my ribs. What will they do with me at the Labs? Will I be killed then and there? Will I fail to save Enna? And after everything we've been through... Angry tears push at the back of my eyes.

"What did you call me, boy?" Willis whispers, though without his usual fury. Now he just seems nervous and tired.

"You heard me," I whisper, trembling with rage. Just before the elevator comes to a stop, I lunge at him with all of my weight. Taken by surprise, he falls against the glass wall, smacking his head. Quickly, I remove the flashgun from his pocket and point it at his forehead. I'm very suddenly reminded of when I did the same thing to the blond girl: my hands start shaking violently. Willis looks fearful and then he smiles grimly.