Discussion Questions

Can't stop thinking about Unplugged: The Hidden World? Organize your thoughts with these discussion questions!

#1: Throughout the novel, Alice spends extended amounts of time with Ariel, eventually sacrificing her life to protect the child. Why do you think this relationship was so important to Alice and to the heart of her character?

#2: Enna is repeatedly told that she alone holds the key to save her friends. What do you predict that means for this book and the next?

#3: In Unplugged: The New World, Enna says that people cannot thrive for long underground. Why is this ironic, pertaining to The Hidden World?

#4: How do you stand in relation to the Hidden Allies? Do you agree that they have been wronged by the human race, or do you believe that they are entirely cruel? What evidence do you have to support your argument?

#5: The tag line of The Hidden World is "Choose to Trust". How do you think that this relates to the novel? If you were to write a tag line of your own, what would it be?

#6: Do you think that Matthew is justified in being resentful towards Victoria? Why or why not? How would you react if you were in his shoes?

#7: At the end of the novel, Enna finds herself responsible for the death of John Elliot. Knowing her personality and relationship with Matthew, how do you think this will affect her, if at all?

#8: Matthew starts to believe that he's turning into his father, and Enna convinces him that the thing his father never had was remorse. How does remorse play into Matthew's story and define him separately from John Elliot?

#9: When Enna first meets Gale, Gale says, "Though if I'd allowed myself to be plugged in, I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in today." What does this quote mean to you? How does it contribute to the theme of the series?